Just moved to Portugal? Make sure you’ve ticked off the following tasks to settle into your life in Portugal.
If you’ve just moved to Portugal, there are some important tasks you will need to complete before enjoying the lighter side of Portuguese life. Tick off all of the following tasks after moving to Portugal.
Sort out your residency
Make sure your residency is sorted. Register with your local financas office–every town has one. Bring along your passport and proof of where you are living (e.g., household bills, mortgage agreement or tenancy agreement). Then visit your nearest town hall or government building and take with you your fiscal number, passport, and proof of where you are living.
Also, find out if you can exchange your driving license. Matriculate your car (this can be done at the same time as you apply for residency and is a lot cheaper to do right away rather than waiting until your six months are up).
Open a bank account
Open a Portuguese bank account. You’ll need your passport and proof of address.
Do your research
- Should you rent or buy a home — and where? Research well.
- Decide on local or international education for your children.
- Enroll your children in a day-care center or hire an au pair.
Sort out your utilities
Find a job
- Job searchersshould sign on with specialist agencies or start their search online.
Learn the language
- Enroll in a language school or a municipal course to learn Portuguese.