Last update on 06/03/2023

To study abroad in Spain, learn about the Spanish university system, required qualifications, how to apply, fees, scholarships, accommodation and student life.

If you’re planning to study in Spain, you will find a long history of college education, international education, and universities in Spain. The higher education system in Spain is well positioned internationally and generally places highly in global education rankings.

The best universities in Spain

Spain’s tradition of university education dates back to medieval times – the University of Salamanca, founded in 1218, is one of the world’s oldest universities – but it also has some of the world’s fastest rising new universities. The Pompeu Fabra University in Barcelona is the highest ranking Spanish university on the 2018 Times Higher Education list, at number 140. It also ranks at number 12 in the Times world list of universities less than 50 years old. Overall, Spain has five universities in the THE global top 400: Pompeu Fabra University (Barcelona), Autonomous University of Barcelona, University of Barcelona, University of Navarra and Autonomous University of Madrid.

Higher education in Spain

There are around 1.6 million students in higher education in Spain. Just over 3% of those who study in Spain are international students. According to the Ministry of Education, in 2016/17 the vast majority of overseas university students were from Latin America (59.6%), followed by students from the EU (19.2%), Asia/Oceania (11.7%), non-EU Europe (3.7%), North America (3%), and Africa (2.8%).

Most courses at Spanish universities are available in Spanish and some courses are in a regional language such as Catalan. But there are increasing numbers of courses at both undergraduate and post-graduate levels taught in English. You can find details of English-language degrees that you can study in Spain on the online study portal.

University graduates

Most Spanish universities divide the academic year into two semesters: the first generally runs from mid-September/early October to the end of December; the second runs from late January/early February to the end of May. Some universities have trimesters.

Types of universities in Spain

There are 76 Spanish universities (universidades): two-thirds are state-run by the autonomous communities in all but two cases, where the Ministry of Education and Science steps in; one-third are private, of which a small selection are Catholic. Most of the leading universities are in Madrid and Barcelona. There are also prestigious business schools and other specialized schools.

The largest university in Spain is the National University of Distance Education (UNED), a distance learning and research university with over 260,000 students run by the central government. UNED combines traditional onsite as well as distance learning programs.

Universities in Spain are one of the following four types:

  • university schools (escuelas universitarias), where shorter courses are available, such as undergraduate courses;
  • university colleges (colegios universitarios), where the first three years of study leading to the completion of a licenciado;
  • faculties (facultades) where longer courses are available in all academic disciplines (except technical courses);
  • higher technical schools of engineering and architecture (escuela superior de ingeniería y arquitectura) where long-term technical courses occur.

The Spanish university system has a rigid structure and, in some cases, students must follow a fixed curriculum and may not be permitted to change universities during their studies (except in outstanding situations).

International universities in Spain

There are several international universities and institutions – generally business schools – that offer higher education in Spain, usually in English or bilingual education.

International education offers a degree and credit structure that universities abroad often accept. These institutions offer a very diverse faculty, host students from around the globe, and are generally accredited by international bodies.

University student in a science lab

In addition to Spanish universities, there are outposts of American universities in Spain: Schiller International University, the St. Louis University and Suffolk University (all in Madrid). There is also the European University and the United International Business Schools in Barcelona and Madrid, as well as international schools in several regions, including Isabella I of Castile International University (Burgos), International University of Catalonia (Barcelona), International University of La Rioja (Longrono), Valencian International University (Castellon de la Plana), and Marbella Design Academy (Monda).

Qualifications awarded in Spain

Spanish universities offer official and non-official degrees. Official degrees follow the Bologna ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) and are recognized within all the countries making up the European Higher Education Area (EHEA):

  • Grado – Bachelor’s, four years, 240 ECTS.
  • Posgrado – Master’s, one to two years, 60–120 ECTS.
  • Doctorado – PhD, three to five years, 60 ECTS.

Under the ECTS, one credit corresponds to the student workload required to successfully complete the course modules. These credits can be accumulated as well as transferred.

All Spanish universities also award non-official masters (Magister) and graduate (maestrias) degrees specific to each university. These are awarded by individual universities, do not give access to PhD courses and are usually not recognized outside of Spain. However, they are often linked to specialized sectors and therefore can be very useful in gaining employment in Spain.

Exchange programs, grants, and scholarships in Spain

Spain has fewer scholarship opportunities than other European countries. It participates in the Erasmus+ program, an EU initiative that allows students from the EU and elsewhere in the world to study in other countries. American students may be able to study in Spain on a grant through the Fulbright US Student program. You can find information on scholarships to study in Spain on the Spanish Ministry of Education website as well as by looking at the scholarships and funding section on individual university websites. If you’re already at a university abroad, you can also ask your university about any exchange programs.

Applying to a Spanish university

You have to apply directly to each university because there’s no centralized system in Spain, and each university sets its own entry requirements and deadlines for applications. However, you may need to get qualifications validated first. Competition can be fierce as there are usually too many applications for the number of available places. Most universities reserve about 5% of places for international students. See each university’s website for application procedures, or try to contact the student secretariat (vice-rectorado de alumnos).

University student working on an assignment

Foreign qualifications and accreditation to study in Spain

To enter higher education in Spain, local Spanish students must reach a certain level of academic achievement in secondary school and pass an entry exam.

If you are from within the EU/EEA/Switzerland or another country that has a reciprocity agreement with Spain, you are usually eligible to enroll at a Spanish university if you hold an equivalent valid school leaving certificate/university entrance level qualification from your home country. You may also need to verify your qualifications through the National Distance Education University (UNED). If you’re from outside the EU/EEA/Switzerland and hold a European or International Baccalaureate, you are also eligible.

If you are from outside the EU/EEA/Switzerland and want to study in Spain, you may be asked to apply for official accreditation (homologación) or partial recognition (convalidación) of your qualifications. To get your qualifications approved, you will need to be authenticated and translated copies of your qualification, course details, and proof of identity. For even more information on official recognition for foreign qualifications, see the Ministry of Education.

Cost of studying in Spain

The fees (tasas) for official degrees at public universities are set by the autonomous communities within guidelines set down by the General Assembly for University Policy. Students from within the EU pay the same tuition fees as Spanish students. Current tuition costs for a Bachelor’s degree at a public university in Spain range from €450–2,000 per year. Master’s and Doctorate fees are calculated per credit (one credit = 25 to 30 hours student work), with costs generally working out at between €900-3,000 per year. However, if you come from outside of the EU, or you are repeating a subject, you will pay more. Public universities set their own fees for non-official degrees.

On the other hand, private universities set their own fees. Enrolment costs for bachelor’s, master’s, or doctorate courses can be between €5,000–18,000, depending on the course and institution.

Contact individual universities for information about their specific fees.

Language skills for studying in Spain

You will need to have a good knowledge of the Spanish language (Castilian) on undergraduate courses, or the regional language (such as Catalan, the regional language of Catalonia).

Most universities offer preparatory summer, intensive or extensive Spanish language courses alongside your degree course – or you can also take classes at a private school. Diplomas in Spanish as a Foreign Language (Diplomas de Español como Lengua Extranjera or DELE) are the official, internationally recognized qualifications. DELE are awarded by the Cervantes Institute. You can also consult a list of language schools in Spain.

Student housing in Spain

Some universities have their own halls of residence (colegios mayores) and student flats, but places are in high demand. Look on the university website for information on university residences on- and off-campus as well as homestays with Spanish families.

The medicine faculty of the University of Barcelona

Rent for private accommodation varies from city to city. For example, for a shared room in a flat expect to pay around €350–600 per month in Madrid, or around €300 per month in Seville or Valencia. Nuroa is an accommodation search engine across Spain, or see our guide to renting in Spain.

The cost of living in Spain also varies between cities and regions, with Madrid and Barcelona being the most expensive; budget for between €350 and €1,000 per month for all living expenses.

Visas to study at a university in Spain

If you’re coming from the EU/EEA/Switzerland to study in Spain, you don’t need a Spanish visa to study at a Spanish university, but you do need to register with the Central Office for Foreigners. Take along your passport/national ID document and proof of acceptance to a university course to get a certificate confirming that you have a right to study in Spain.

If you’re from outside of the EU/EEA/Switzerland you’ll need to apply for a student visa from the Spanish embassy or consulate in your home country but only after you’ve been accepted into a course at a Spanish university. You’ll also need proof of health insurance and sufficient funds to support yourself while you study in Spain (a letter from parents will suffice). You will have to apply for an Autorización de Estancia por Estudios within 30 days of your arrival in Spain. This gives you temporary right of residence. It can be renewed every year so long as you are doing well on your course. For more information, see Expatica’s guide to Spanish student visas.

Working while studying in Spain

Students can work either in employment or self-employment as long as the employment does not interfere with studies. In practice, this means that work may be part-time during term-time and up to three months full-time work in the holidays. If you’re from outside of the EU/EEA/Switzerland, you’ll need a Spanish work permit to do so (unless the work is an internship as part of your course). Read about finding a job in Spain.

Tips on Spanish student life

Many Spanish students attend the university closest to home and still live at home or go home at weekends. This means that university facilities may close during the weekend. As a result, universities offer few extracurricular activities.

Courses at Spanish universities have strong structures with few elective elements. You must select your curriculum and usually cannot change university part-way through the course unless in exceptional circumstances.

Student studying at a café

Teaching includes lectures, seminars, and practical work. Lectures are about an hour long. Initially, lectures may be very crowded – arrive early to get a seat – but there’s a high drop off rate after the tough first-year exams. As many as 30% of students in Spain drop out before their course ends. Exams may be in February or June, although some courses undergo evaluations throughout the year.

Health insurance is obligatory in Spain. Students under 28 receive coverage for health insurance by a students’ insurance fund; others must organize their own health insurance, however. EU students can also use their valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Read even more in our guide to health insurance in Spain.

List of top Spanish universities and institutions







Santiago de Compostela





Useful resources