Home Working in Spain Self-Employment How to become an autónomo: freelancing and self-employment in Spain
Last update on October 15, 2020

If your plan is to become a freelancer or self-employed in Spain, find out how to join the three million self-employed people – ‘autónomos’ – in Spain.

Foreigners can set up a business in Spain or work in self-employment as an autónomo in Spain. Foreigners and Spanish nationals are treated the same, although all expats need a foreigner’s identity number (NIE). In addition to the NIE, non-EU/EEA/Swiss nationals may need a freelance visa to enter Spain. They also need form 036 to get a NIF tax identification number, plus liability insurance or seguro de responsabilidad civil.

The actual process to set up as a freelancer in Spain is relatively straightforward, although it is time-consuming. You also must register for tax and social security contributions in Spain and take out Spanish health insurance while working as an autónomo in Spain. The information contained in this article is a guide only and you should seek specialist advice on specific issues.

Who can become autónomo in Spain?

If you are from the EU/EEA or Switzerland, you can set up as a freelancer in Spain without any restrictions.

If you are from outside the EU/EEA or Switzerland, you may need a visa to come to Spain, a residence permit to stay long-term, plus a work permit allowing you to work as a freelancer person. For more information, see Expatica’s complete guides to Spanish permits and Spanish work visas.

Everyone who wants to set up as a freelancer or set up a business needs a foreigner’s identity number (NIE). The number is also for your social security contributions.

Apply for your NIE at a police station with the foreigners’ department (Oficina de Extranjeros) of a national Spanish police station (comisaría). Complete the application form Solicitud de Número de Identidad de Extranjero (NIE) y Certificados (form EX-15), show your passport, as well as pay a fee.

Spanish freelance and self-employed visa

If you apply for a freelance visa in your home country, contact your local Spanish consulate or embassy. A freelance visa allows you to live and work in Spain with a business plan. However, if you want to launch your business before receiving residency, you can register a shareholder and nominate a Spanish resident as the director or manager. Shareholders don’t need residency, but they do need an NIE and NIF.

Autonomo – self-employed in Spain

You need documents such as:

  • Passport
  • Form EX-07
  • Information on your business or self-employment in Spain (e.g., business plan, agreements with clients)
  • Licenses or proof of education to carry out your work
  • Initial investment and proof of investment income.

Documents should not exceed 90 days since their issue. You can also get a business plan approved by visiting an organization the Spanish government deems suitable. Having a pre-approved business plan can also make the freelance visa process easier. Contact a local office of these organizations:

  • Federación Nacional de Asociaciones de Empresarios y Trabajadores Autónomos (ATA)
  • Unión de Profesionales y Trabajadores Autónomos (UPTA)
  • Confederación Intersectorial de Autónomos del Estado Español (CIAE)
  • Organización de Profesionales y Autónomos (OPA)
  • Unión de Asociaciones de Trabajadores Autónomos y Emprendedores (UATAE)

Once you have your paperwork, make an appointment with the closest Spanish embassy or via this website if in Spain already (select your region, and then Autorización inicial de Residencia y Trabajo por Cuenta Propia). Within 10 days, you also pay the application fee (around €205). If approved, you’ll receive a letter of pre-approval that allows you to apply for a freelance visa and residence permit within one month.

At this stage, you present:

  • ID or passport (with at least four months validity)
  • Medical certificate
  • Proof of visa fee payment (€60)
  • Criminal record for the last five years

Changing to an autónomo visa

If you are already in Spain on another visa, generally you can begin the process of switching to a freelance visa while in Spain. However, you may have to return to your home country to pick it up. Some exceptions exist; for example, residents who have been in Spain longer than three years may apply for a modification of their existing residence permit. Check with your local immigration office (extranjería) or consulate before preparing any documents.

One year of residence is typically required before modifying an existing visa (with some exceptions). However, if you don’t want to register as a freelancer, there are some alternatives, such as setting up a co-operative society. However, don’t confuse it with online co-operatives through which you can produce invoices; in 2018, the Spanish government cracked down on a legal loophole allowing people to invoice as autónomos without officially registering.

It’s also possible to apply for a modification to an employee’s visa at a later date, if you ever find work with an employer. The process is also typically easier than trying to modify a regular visa to a freelancer’s one, which can be an attractive point for employers to consider.

The Spanish freelance visa is the only one that doesn’t require a corporate sponsor. Coming to Spain with a freelance visa can also be useful for foreigners to find work, as it is easier for employers to hire them. However, getting a Spanish freelance visa requires time (around three to six months) and money (around €400–600). This includes the time and cost of getting certain official documents.

Once you are in Spain on a freelance visa, you have 90 days to visit a foreigner’s office to convert it into a Spanish residence permit. The government explains the process (in Spanish).

Different company legal structures for self-employment in Spain

If you want to set up a business or work as a freelancer in Spain, there are two options. You can either set up as:

  • a sole proprietor or self-employed person (autonomo), where you accept personal liability for your business. It’s easy to set up as an autonomo in Spain. You pay tax through the personal Spanish income tax system.
  • a limited company, the most common form of which is the sociedad limitada or SL. There is no personal liability with an SL but there are additional tax, accounting, and other responsibilities. You have to submit annual corporation tax returns, statutory accounts, and VAT returns, and also pay personal income tax. For more information, see Expatica’s guide to starting a business in Spain.

Regulated professions in Spain

Certain professions such as doctors, lawyers, teachers, and engineers may have to have their qualifications recognized in Spain before being able to start work. You can find a list of regulated professions here on the EU Commission website, as well as with whom to contact about having your qualifications recognized.

Company register in Spain

The central company register in Spain is known as the Registro Mercantile Central (RMC).

If you want to check the details of existing companies in Spain, consult the Spanish company register here.

How to become autónomo in Spain

Before you can start working as a freelancer or self-employed person (autónomo) in Spain, you must register with the Spanish tax authority (Agencia Tributaria also known as the Hacienda) and the Spanish social security system (Tesoreria General de la Seguridad Social).

Step 1: Registering your business

First, you must register for the Impuesto sobre actividades económicas (tax for economic activities) with one of the tax authority’s offices. You can find the contact details of your local tax office here through the Agencia Tributaria. You need your passport as well as your NIE number.

Freelance in Spanish

For tax purposes, you must be either a sole trader (empresario individual) or independent professional (profesional autonomo). Both the tax and social security offices will want you to put yourself into a category which describes the type of work you wish to carry out and has its own code number. Look for your code here.

You must complete Modelo 036 or 037, known as the declaración censal and be given a personal tax certificate (Impuesto sobre la Renta de las Personas Físicas or IRPF). For information on declaring and paying tax, see Expatica’s guide to taxation and charges for freelancers in Spain.

Step 2: Social security and health insurance for autonomos in Spain

After registering your business with the tax authorities, you have 30 days to contact the Spanish social security authority to inform them you are now freelancing in Spain. All autonomos have to register with the Spanish social security system under the Special Regime for Autonomous Workers (Régimen Especial de Trabajadores Autónomos or RETA).

You need to take along:

  • a photocopy of your passport
  • your NIE number
  • your IRPF form
  • the pages of your Modelo 036 or 037
  • a completed application form.

You may also be required to present your address registration, known as el padrón.

In order to get free healthcare through the Spanish state healthcare system, as a self-employed worker you will have to join a health insurance fund (mutua) organised through RETA. You will be given a health card from the month you join and cover can include you and any dependent family members living at the same address. Read more about health insurance in Spain and social security in Spain.

Expert help and advice on self-employment in Spain

If you need help setting up a business in Spain or completing your Spanish tax returns as a freelancer, you can hire a gestor, a type of business manager who acts as a liaison between you and Spanish bureaucracy. You can find a gestor through a recommendation already in business, or look in the Paginasmarillas (Yellow Pages) under Gestorias Administratives. One change could be that autónomos will be taxed according to what they earn. As yet though, that is not the case.

Spanish business phrases

  • Self-employed in Spanish: Trabajadores por cuenta propia / autónomo
  • Freelancer in Spanish: Persona de libre dedicación / trabajador independiente
  • Please find enclosed invoice number…: Encontrará adjunta la factura número…
  • I/We hereby confirm your order: Por la presente, confirmo/confirmamos su pedido.
  • Your order will be processed as quickly as possible: Su pedido se procesará de la manera más rápida posible.
  • For further information please consult my/our website at…: Para más información consulte mi/nuestra página web…
  • If you need any additional assistance, please contact me/us: Si necesita ayuda adicional, contacte con nosotros.
  • For more information, please do not hesitate to contact me: Si necesita más información, no dude en contactarme.

Spanish self-employment authorities