Home Working in the UK Labor Law Labor and employment law in the UK
Last update on April 29, 2020

If you’re working in Britain, here’s a guide to employment law in the UK when it comes to ending an employment contract.

Leaving your UK job

If an employer asks you to leave your job, they must give you a minimum period of notice and, likewise, you must give your employer a minimum period of notice if you want to leave. The length of notice you have to give depends on how long you have been in the job, but if the employer fails to give the required notice, the employee can make a claim to the courts for wrongful dismissal.

Where the employee leaves without serving the required notice period, the employer may have a right to withhold pay or claim damages. There are times when no notice is needed, for example if the dismissal is for gross misconduct or where constructive dismissal occurs.

Redundancy in the UK

If you feel you have been unfairly dismissed, ask for advice from the ACAS helpline (08457 474747). ACAS mediate between employers and employees.

You may be able to get legal assistance if you feel that you have been dismissed unfairly, or would like advice about your redundancy pay. A good starting point is to discuss the matter with your trade union, the Citizens Advice Bureau or a Law Centre, but don’t delay. After your dismissal, you normally have only three months in which to make a complaint. Your trade union, the Citizens Advice Bureau, a Law Centre or solicitor will be able to give you more information.

If you are made unemployed you may be entitled to claim Jobseeker’s Allowance. Your local Jobcentre Plus office will help you with your claim.

Further advice is available from the Citizens Advice Bureau and the Jobcentre Plus website.