Home Moving to the Netherlands Visas & Immigration Self-employed visas for the Netherlands
Last update on June 09, 2021

If you want to set up your own business, work as a freelancer, or practice a profession, you can apply for a self-employed visa in the Netherlands.

If you want to live in the Netherlands and start your own business, work as a freelancer in the Netherlands, or practice a profession, you must apply for a Dutch residence permit as an entrepreneur. Certain conditions apply to each situation, which are outlined in this guide.

Immigration updates 2017

  • The requirements to work as self-employed in the Netherlands can be rigorous if you are a foreign national. To avoid deterring new businesses, the Dutch government introduced the ‘Startup Visa’, effective as of January 2015, that allows new businesses a preparatory year to prepare the requirements for qualifying for the Dutch self-employment permit.
  • Further changes were made to the Startup Visa in 2016, when the Dutch authorities recognized that after the preliminary start-up year many enterprises were still not able to pass the rigorous scrutiny of the standard self-employed application. As of January 2016 startups may introduce a favorable recommendation from their business facilitator that will replace the points-based system.
  • The prices for self-employment permits were increased in January 2017 (see below).

Moving to the Netherlands

Different rules apply for citizens from the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA – EU plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway) and Switzerland – and their family members. Read more in Expatica’s guide for EU/EEA/Swiss nationals moving to the Netherlands.

Otherwise, depending on your nationality, you may need a provisional residence permit (MVV) to enter the Netherlands in addition to a Dutch residence permit to stay in the country for more than three months, although exemptions apply. Find out if you need an entry visa for the Netherlands in our guide to Dutch residence visa (MVV).

Conditions for self-employed Dutch residence permit

If you’re coming to work as a self-employed person or to set up your own business in the Netherlands, there are certain conditions that must be met to receive approval for your Dutch permit, most notably proving that your business activities serve an essential Dutch interest using a point-based system.

If you are applying for a residence permit to work for your own company, your business will be assessed by the Netherlands Enterprise Agency (RVO), a division of the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs, which awards points in three different areas: your personal experience, your business plan and how the business will benefit the Dutch economy.

The points-based review is rigorous; a well-prepared business plan with robust financial projections is a must and your application package should be very carefully put together. You must score at least 90 out of 300 points, of which you must score at least 30 points in each category. Only in very limited cases will an exceptional score in one category compensate for a unsatisfactory score in another category.

You must also prove sufficient and long-term means of support, for at least 12 months from the start of the procedure.


To be deemed as self-employed when acting as director or a major shareholder of a company, you must additionally prove you have at least 25% interest in the company, be liable for risks and be able to influence the level of your income. If this is not the case, your relationship with the company would be considered as an employee and you would be required to obtain a Dutch work permit.


If you are applying to work as a freelancer you must additionally prove that you have work assignments in the Netherlands at the time that you apply.

Healthcare practitioners

freelance in netherlands

If you intend to provide healthcare services you are subject to regulation by the Individual Healthcare Professions Act (BIG) and you must be included in the BIG register. Upon admission, you are able to use your professional title in the Netherlands.

Startup Visa for new entrepreneurs

Since January 2015, certain foreign nationals may be eligible instead to apply for an entrepreneur permit for one preparatory year.

The Dutch authorities acknowledge that many startup companies are not yet in the position to satisfy the points criteria for the standard self-employment visa, and thus the start-up visa was introduced. The start-up visa authorises a one-year preparatory period in the Netherlands, during which the startup entrepreneur works closely with a business facilitator to get the new enterprise ready to satisfy the conditions of the standard self-employed permit. The Netherlands Enterprise Agency (RVO) keeps a list of recognised facilitators.

The start-up visa cannot be extended. After the first year the facilitator can submit a positive reference to the immigration authorities to support the self-employment permit application. A declaration issued by your facilitator can be equal to at least the minimum score for personal experience, business plan and added value for the Dutch economy of the point-based system. Read the conditions to see if you qualify for the Dutch Startup Visa.

Treaties with US and Japan

US citizens can operate as self-employed under a trade agreement between the US and the Netherlands – known as the Dutch American Friendship Treaty (DAFT) – if they start a new business representing a US interest in the Netherlands, invest substantial capital in the enterprise and meet residence requirements in the Netherlands (staying at least six months per year). American entrepreneurs applying for a DAFT permit do not have to satisfy the points-based review.

Japanese nationals were also previously granted freedom on the labor market in the Netherlands, however, since 2016 the IND requires that a residence and work permit is obtained for stays longer than 90 days. For Japanese entrepreneurs, the IND currently takes the position that the self-employment permit is the appropriate residence permit. The application process is similar to that for US nationals, as there is also a trade agreement in place between Japan and the Netherlands. This is a situation that is likely to change and Japanese nationals should confirm the latest regulations before applying.

How to apply for a self-employed residence permit

If you require an MVV visa you must file your application at the Dutch embassy or consulate in your own country or in a country where you are legally residing, before you arrive. Read more about applying for your Dutch provisional residence permit (MVV).

If you only need to apply for a residence permit, you can wait until you arrive in the Netherlands to open your Dutch company and file your application. You can apply by making an appointment at your regional IND desk; contact to find your nearest IND desk, and download the application form here. You can also apply prior to your arrival if you want to start work as soon as you arrive (apply for your residence permit).

If you are applying for the start-up visa, you do not require an entry visa (MVV) regardless of your nationality, provided all the requirements for the permit are met. Read more about the application process; you or your facilitator can apply directly the IND using this application form.


When you apply for your residence permit, you will need to submit certain documents specific to your business and prove it has an essential Dutch interest. These may include:

  • your passport/ID;
  • proof of income;
  • proof that you are qualified to practice your profession (e.g., degree or certification);
  • comprehensive details of your business, such as a business plan, legal and financial aspects, organisation, or market analysis;
  • a certificate of the registration at the Dutch Chamber of Commerce (if you will be running a company in the Netherlands) – for more information, click here;
  • work assignments from Dutch employers (if you’re a freelancer);
  • evidence of intended investments in the Netherlands (to demonstrate financial interests in the Netherlands);
  • proof of educational qualifications;
  • evidence of work connections and experience within the Netherlands.


You will have to pay a fee to process your application, which is non-refundable even if your application is rejected. Currently the self-employment permit costs €1,319 (or less after having a Startup Visa), or €317 for the initial start-up visa. Fees are reviewed bi-annually (January and July).


You should allow 90 days for the IND to make their decision. In some cases the IND can extend the decision period for an additional 90 days.

Once you have your residence permit


If you are self-employed, you can work without a work permit as long as the work you carry out is the same as set out in your residence application (ie. self-employed activity). If you take on any additional employment, your employer must obtain a work permit for you.

How long is the permit valid for?

Your permit is usually valid for a maximum of two years but it’s possible to extend. Find out how to extend your Dutch residency permit.

If your circumstances change

If you are no longer self-employed, you will need to apply for a new residence permit. Read our guide to Dutch residence permits to find out which permit could be suitable for your individual situation.

For more information

The Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND)

See the IND website for more information and to find your nearest IND desk; in general, you cannot visit an IND desk unless you have an appointment (with the exception of collecting your permit).

For queries or to make an appointment, you can contact the IND by phone Monday to Friday, 9am–5pm on 088 0430 430 from within the Netherlands or +31 88 0430 430 from abroad.

Immigratie-en Naturalisatiedienst
Postbus 287

The IND’s twitter account @IND_NL can also be contacted for general queries between Monday to Friday 9am–5pm.