Help the refugees

If you move around the world by choice, consider helping those forced from their homes by conflict. Donate to the UN Refugee Agency today.

Home Moving to Spain Visas & Immigration A guide for EU/EEA/Swiss citizens moving to Spain
Last update on March 29, 2022

A guide for EU, EEA and Swiss citizens – and their family members – coming to live, work, or study in Spain.

EU, EEA, and Swiss citizens have the right to live and work in the country without a Spanish visa.

If you’re staying longer than three months, however, you must register with the authorities and obtain a residence certificate. This requires you to prove you can support yourself financially and have Spanish healthcare insurance.

EU/EEA/Swiss nationals moving to Spain

Within three months of your arrival in Spain, you must go to a Foreigners’ Office (Oficina de Extranjero) or police station to register with the Central Register of Foreign Nationals.

You must have a valid passport or ID document and prove that you can support yourself (and any dependants). You may also need to show evidence that you have private or public healthcare insurance.

This documentation you’ll need will vary according to your own circumstances, but can include:

  • a declaration or certificate of employment, or evidence of self-employment (such as registration on the Mercantile Registry – Registro Mercantil);
  • evidence of healthcare insurance (or European Health Insurance Card if valid for the duration of the stay);
  • proof of sufficient financial resources (through income, assets, etc);
  • proof of enrolment at an educational institution.

If everything is in order, you get a residence certificate (Certificado de registro como residente comunitario), which includes your name, address, nationality, and your Foreigner’s Identity Number (NIE). This number is essential for all financial and administrative matters in Spain.

You must inform the authorities of any change of address or personal circumstances, such as getting married in Spain or a divorce in Spain.

You should carry your certificate, along with your passport or national ID document, at all times.

Family members of EU/EEA/Swiss citizens moving to Spain

Family members – legally registered partners, spouses, and dependants – who are EU/EEA/Swiss citizens must apply for the same registration in Spain.

Any family members who are not from the EU/EEA or Switzerland have the same right to live to Spain. However, they may need a visa from the Spanish embassy in their home country to enter Spain. You can find out who needs an entry visa for Spain in Expatica’s guide to Spanish visas.

Within three months of arrival, they must register in person at the Foreigner’s Office in order to be issued with a Residence Card for family members of EU citizens (Tarjeta de Residencia de Familiar de Cuidadano de la Unión).

Non-EU/EEA/Swiss family members will need to show the following to authorities in Spain:

  • a valid passport,
  • completed and signed application form,
  • proof of relationship with the EU citizen (birth, marriage, civil partnership certificates),
  • ID of the EU citizen, and
  • color passport photos.

The residence card will be valid for five years, after which it has to be renewed.

Working in Spain

If you plan on working in Spain, you should also register with the Spanish Social Security authorities, the General Social Security Fund (Dirección General de la Tesorería General de la Seguridad Social – TGSS).

If you are an employee your employer will do this for you, but if you are self-employed it is your responsibility. See their website for information on how to register, contributions and benefits. There are provincial offices throughout Spain.

For more information see our guide to working in Spain.

Mandatory registration on the padrón

The padrón is a list of all the people living in the town and it’s obligatory for everyone, including EU/EEA/Swiss citizens, to be registered on it. The term empadronarse is the act of registering on it.

While it’s a form of census registration and helps the town’s provision for schools and health centers, being on it has other benefits, including access to certain income-related benefits and social care, possible reductions in community charges and inheritance tax –  as well as the right to vote in local and European elections.

Go to the padrón office at the town hall shortly after your arrival, where you will need to show:

  • your passport or official ID,
  • your NIE or residence certificate or card,
  • a recent utility bill in your name, and
  • a copy of your rental agreement for where you live or your house deeds.

You may be issued with a Certificado de Empadronamiento then and there or have to return to collect it.

Tips for preparing your Spanish residency application

Legal documentation can be confusing in Spain as requirements differ between regions and can change regularly. This is why your first step should be to ask the relevant Spanish National Police office within the area you live, where you’ll eventually deliver all your paperwork.

It’s rare that English is spoken, so if you don’t speak Spanish you might consider taking a translator.

1. Pensioners

If you are on a pension from your country of origin you should be able to obtain an S1 form or E-121 form – or similar equivalent – to cover the health assistance requirement in your application.

Another important part of your application will be to prove your financial means. Some police stations require you to have your monthly Spanish pension sent to a Spanish bank for at least three months before you apply for your residence certificate. In addition, depending on the police station, there might be a required minimum amount of pension, which in is sometimes referred to as your minimum wage in Spain (€736 in 2018). Your relevant police office will confirm exactly what you need.

2. Employees

If you are working in Spain, you won’t need to present proof of health coverage from your country of origin, as you and your Spanish employer will typically pay monthly contributions into the Spanish social security system, giving you access to the Spanish healthcare system (as well as a pension when you retire).

However, some police stations will require you to prove you have been employed in Spain for at least three months and earn at least the minimum wage specified in point one.

You can prove your employment by downloading a working record certificate or vida laboral (Click here and you’ll see ‘Employment history and contribution bases notification for workers’, ‘Working life report’ and ‘Limited employment history report’).

If you use the government online service to download your vida laboral, the certificate will not download if the information you input does not coincide with what they have on their social security system. If you have problems, you can always go in person to request your certificate. You may need an interpreter if you don’t speak Spanish.

3. Self-employed

The requirements are similar to employees in the previous point. Similarly, you must get a working certificate (vida laboral) before your apply for your Spanish residency.

As self-employed people don’t have a fixed salary, there is no minimum wage requirement, however, some police stations may require proof of bank savings.

4. Unemployed

You must be registered at the unemployment office of the Spanish region where you live. The requirements may vary depending on your region, but as a general rule you will need to prove you have financial means and a private medical insurance policy.