Home Moving to the Netherlands Visas & Immigration Visas for au pairs in the Netherlands
Last update on June 09, 2021

An au pair agency can sponsor and apply for your Dutch residency permit so you can live and work as an au pair in the Netherlands for up to one year.

You can work as an au pair for one year with a host family. Au pairs do light household tasks in exchange for housing. But you – and your host family – have to fulfill certain specific conditions. Only an au pair agency can lodge your application, who acts as your recognized sponsor/employer.

Depending on your nationality, you may need a provisional residence permit (MVV) to enter the Netherlands and/or a residence permit to stay in the country for more than three months. As of June 2013, you (or a sponsor) can apply for both permits in one application through the Entry and Residence Procedure (TEV).

To find out if you need an MVV for entering the Netherlands, or if you only need to submit an application for a Dutch residence permit, read Dutch provisional residence permits (MVV).

Conditions for au pairs

In addition to the general requirements for MVV/residence permit to enter and stay to the Netherlands for longer than three months, as an au pair you must:

  • be 18–30 years of age;
  • have not held a residence permit in the Netherlands for exchange purposes before;
  • stay with a host family (i.e., at least two people) for whom you have not worked (abroad) before, with sufficient long-term means to support you all;
  • you must be registered with the Municipal Personal records database (BRP) at their address;
  • undertake no more than 8 hours per day or 30 hours per week of light household duties, with a previously agreed daily schedule
  • not pay more than €34 to any au pair agency as a registration fee.

Your agency

Your sponsor must be an au pair agency recognized by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND). Contact the IND for a list of recognized agencies. As well as submitting an application on your behalf, your sponsor can also put forward objections and appeals if the application is refused.

The sponsor has to sign a declaration that you fulfill the criteria for your stay, provide information about you and your host family (for example, the latter’s income) and has a legal obligation to report any changes to the IND while you’re in the Netherlands, for example, if you change host families. The agency must also pay repatriation costs if au pairs overstay their visa.

How to apply for an au pair residence permit

The au pair agency will submit your application to the IND on your behalf.


The sponsor will tell you which documents they need to send to the IND. They will definitely require copies of your passport. Foreign documents must be authenticated or legalized by the appropriate authorities. They must be in Dutch, English, French, or German. For more information, read how to prepare supporting documents for Dutch visa applications.


The agency will have to pay a fee to process your application, which is non-refundable if your application is rejected. The current fee is €614. Fees will be reviewed mid-year, so check the latest fees here.

There may be additional costs for legalizing or translating documents or administrative costs incurred by the embassy or consulate in processing the application.


The IND aims to take two weeks to assess your application.

Once you have your residence permit


You can only work for your host family, carrying out the daily tasks previously agreed. You cannot undertake any other type of work.

How long is the permit valid for?

It’s valid for one year only and cannot be extended. If you want to stay in the Netherlands when the permit ends, you have to make an application for a new residence permit with a new purpose of stay, and the IND will assess you to see if you meet the conditions. You should make the application before your initial residence permit runs out. Read our guide to Dutch visas to find out if you’re eligible to apply for a new residence permit with a different purpose of stay.

If your circumstances change

If you change host families, for example, your au pair agency must inform the IND in writing.