Help the refugees

If you move around the world by choice, consider helping those forced from their homes by conflict. Donate to the UN Refugee Agency today.

Home Moving to Belgium Visas & Immigration Guide for EU/EEA/Swiss citizens moving to Belgium
Last update on March 22, 2022

EU, EEA, and Swiss citizens have the right to live and work in Belgium but must fulfill certain requirements if staying longer than three months.

Citizens of the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA – EU plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway) and Switzerland can travel freely to Belgium using their national ID card or their passport. EU/EEA and Swiss citizens do not require a Belgian visa and have the right to stay in Belgium for a maximum period of three months, provided they register their presence in Belgium after arrival.

If you envisage staying longer than three months, however, you must register with the Belgian authorities and provide evidence that you can support yourself financially and have adequate health insurance. You need to complete this process to put yourself in the population register and acquire a foreigner’s identity card.


Thinking about relocating to Belgium? Make sure you start your Belgian adventure on the right foot by checking out your options on ReloAdvisor. Compare quotes from some of the world's biggest relocation specialists and find the right option for you and your family. Start your new life right with ReloAdvisor.

When you arrive in Belgium

Notification of presence: if you are staying less than three months

Although EU/EEA/Swiss nationals don’t need a Belgian permit to live in Belgium, they must register their presence in Belgium.

In principle, EU/EEA/Swiss citizens – and accompanying family members, such as legally registered partners, spouses and dependents ­ – will need to go to the local town hall (maison communale/gemeentehuis) to report their presence to the authorities within 10 days of arrival in Belgium. This obligation only applies when you stay in private accommodation, thus it is not obligatory when you are staying in a hotel or have been admitted to a hospital. To find your nearest town hall is, see here for a list of communes.

You must show your passport or ID. Authorities then give you a declaration of arrival (annex 3ter), which allows you to stay in Belgium for up to three months.

Staying in Belgium more than three months

If you envisage staying in Belgium for more than three months, you must register at your local town hall (maison communale/gemeentehuis) within three months after your arrival.

Depending on your status, you may need to submit additional documents to support your residency application. The town hall will forward your application to the Belgian Immigration Office. The federal authorities will make a decision on your application within a maximum period of six months. While your application is pending, you are entitled to reside in Belgium.

These documents, among other, may include:

  • your passport/national ID card;
  • three passport photos;
  • evidence you can support yourself financially (e.g., a letter from an employer confirming your position and salary, bank statements);
  • proof of adequate housing;
  • evidence that you have adequate healthcare insurance;
  • evidence of your relationship, if appropriate (e.g., birth or marriage certificate).

Foreigner’s ID card

If a positive decision is made by the immigration office, you will receive an annex 8. This is proof of your registration in the Belgian national registry. You may also request an electronic ID card (type E) but this is not obligatory – a fee will apply. These cards are not residence permits but serve as ID cards and proof that you’re registered as a resident. They are valid for five years.

Following this process, you have the right to unlimited stay in Belgium, which is conditional during the initial five years.

Working in Belgium

EU/EEA/Swiss nationals can work without the need for a Belgian work permit.

After five years of continuous residence in Belgium

After five years of legal and continuous residence in Belgium, EU/EEA and Swiss citizens automatically acquire the right to permanent residence in Belgium (residence card E+).

Getting Belgian citizenship

EU/EEA and Swiss citizens can opt to acquire Belgian citizenship after five or 10 years of residence, depending on a number of circumstances. Read more in our guide to Belgian citizenship.

More information