Visas & Permits
Expatica's guides for all you need to know about: rss
Guide to Dutch visas and permits

Moving to the Netherlands: Guide to Dutch visas and permits


Which Dutch visa or permit do you need to visit, live, work or study in the Netherlands? Here's an essential guide to apply for the correct Dutch visa or permit for your individual situation.

Work in the Netherlands

Work in the Netherlands: Dutch work permits


Not everyone needs a separate Dutch work permit to legally work in the Netherlands – find out if you need a Dutch work permit for your situation.

Dutch citizenship

How to get Dutch citizenship


Here is our guide to obtaining citizenship in the Netherlands, and the conditions required to apply for Dutch citizenship.

Dutch passport

The Dutch passport


A helpful guide to the Dutch passport application process, the types of Dutch passport available to internationals and more.

Dutch visa for freelancers and entrepreneurs

Self-employed Dutch visa for freelancers and entrepreneurs


If you want to set up your own business, work as a freelancer or practice a profession in the Netherlands, you can apply for a self-employed Dutch residence permit.

Contacting the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND)


The IND implements immigration policy in the Netherlands. This article provides contact information for IND centres in cities such as Amsterdam, Eindhoven, Den Bosh, and Rotterdam.

Dutch residence permits for employees


If you want to work in the Netherlands as an employee (a labour migrant), there are multiple options for obtaining a Dutch residence permit, outlined in this guide.

Moving to the Netherlands with family

Moving to the Netherlands to join a partner or family member

1 comment

If you have a family member living in the Netherlands find out if you're eligible to join them with a 'family reunification' Dutch residence permit.

Dutch entry visa and temporary residence permits

Dutch provisional residence permits (MVV) and temporary residence permits


Certain nationalities require a Dutch visa to enter the Netherlands, plus a Dutch residence permit to live in the Netherlands for longer than three months.

Dutch permanent residence for non EU/EEA/Swiss nationals

Permanent residency in the Netherlands


After living in the Netherlands for five years, foreign nationals and their family members can apply for a Dutch permanent residence permit.

When your Dutch permit expires

When your residence permit expires or you want to leave the Netherlands

1 comment

If your Dutch resident permit expires, you can apply to extend it or opt for a different permit. If you leave instead, you must deregister and return your permit.

Study in the Netherlands

Study in the Netherlands: Dutch student visas


Foreign students can apply for a Dutch student permit for the duration of their course – plus an additional one year 'orientation visa' upon graduation to look for work.

Dutch visa for Master's degree and PhD graduates

Dutch residence permit for Bachelor's, Master's and PhD degree graduates


Bachelor's, Master's or PhD degree graduates from both Dutch and leading foreign universities can apply for an 'orientation year' permit to live in the Netherlands for one year to look for work.

Registration for EU, EEA and Swiss citizens living in the Netherlands

A guide for EU, EEA and Swiss citizens moving to the Netherlands


A guide to the rules and registration required for EU/EEA and Swiss citizens coming to live and work in the Netherlands.

Dutch visa for highly skilled migrants

Dutch residence permit for highly skilled migrants


Employers can apply for Dutch entry/residence permits on behalf of highly skilled migrants before they arrive in the Netherlands.

Expatica Offers