You cannot visit a Swiss hospital unless in an emergency or with a referral. Read about hospitals in Switzerland to find out what is required to visit a Swiss hospital, plus a list of the major hospitals in Switzerland.
If you need to access Swiss healthcare or seeking emergency or medical healthcare services, you will be assured to know that the hospitals in Switzerland and medical facilities are, in fact, among the best equipped in the world – combined with little or no waiting lists.
Switzerland does not have free healthcare. Instead, residents in Switzerland must contribute to Swiss health insurance schemes in order to access healthcare facilities. In general, you can visit a Swiss hospital in any canton. However, Swiss health insurance only covers up to the cost of what the treatment would have cost in the canton you live. This doesn’t apply if the medical treatment is not available in your canton, however; in that case, insurance covers all costs.
This guide explains what you need to know before going to the hospital in Switzerland, as well as provides a list of the major hospitals in Switzerland by region.
Hospitals in Switzerland
Hospitals in Switzerland are called Krankenhaus / Spital / Hospital / Ospedale depending in what part of the multilingual country you are residing in. Look for a sign with a white the letter ‘H’ on a blue background and you will undoubtedly see it. You can also find more healthcare terms in our French medical dictionary, German medical dictionary and Italian medical dictionary.
You will be treated in a Swiss hospital by a doctor. The hospital is usually in your local canton and often there is more than one hospital within an area. However, you are usually restricted to a hospital in your own canton if you don’t have enhanced medical cover as part of your Swiss health insurance. You’ll also need to take along your European Health Insurance Card (for European citizens) or proof of your Swiss health insurance policy to access Swiss healthcare medical services.
Hospitals in Switzerland have three types of wards: general (two to four patients), semi-private (two patients), and private (one patient). If you have private health insurance in Switzerland, you can also choose your own doctor and get a private room. If you only have basic Swiss health insurance, it covers medical and nursing care and outpatient follow-up although you will be asked to pay a fee per day towards these costs.
Many doctors in Switzerland and senior health professionals will speak excellent English, while nurses and other staff won’t always be English speakers but there will almost always be someone within the building who can help.
Emergencies in Switzerland
If you need emergency treatment at a Swiss hospital, you will typically be required to show proof of Swiss health insurance, although this doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll be refused in an emergency.
- All emergencies: dial 112
- Ambulance: dial 144
- Police: dial 117
- Fire brigade: dial 118
- See a complete list of Swiss emergency numbers
Healthcare websites in Switzerland
- Federal Office of Public Health: bag.admin.ch
- Hospital Comparison Switzerland: en.comparis.ch
- PrivateHospitals.ch: privatehospitals.ch
- Swiss Red Cross: redcross.ch
Insurance for hospital treatment in Switzerland
You’ll need to make sure that you take out health insurance in Switzerland to be covered for hospital treatment. Companies offering health insurance coverage in Switzerland include companies such as:
Major hospitals in Switzerland
Below is a list of some of the major Swiss hospitals, by region and in alphabetical order.
Hospitals in Aargau
- Kantonsspital Aarau: Tellstrasse 25, 5001 Aarau | ksa.ch
- Kantonsspital Baden AG: Im Ergel 1, 5404 Baden | kantonsspitalbaden.ch
Hospitals in Basel
- Basel University Hospital (Inselspital): Spitalstrasse 21, 4056 Basel | unispital-basel.ch
- Kantonsspital Baselland (Standort Bruderholz): 4101 Bruderholz | ksbl.ch
- Kantonsspital Baselland (Standort Laufen): Lochbruggstrasse 39, 4242 Laufen | ksbl.ch
- Bethesda Spital: Gellertstrasse 144, 4052 Basel | bethesda-spital.ch
- Kantonsspital Baselland (Standort Liestal): Rheinstrasse 26, CH-4410 Liestal | ksbl.ch
- St Claraspital AG: Kleinriehenstrasse 30, 4059 Basel | claraspital.ch
- Universitäts-Kinderspital beider Basel: Spitalstrasse 33, 4056 Basel | ukbb.ch
Hospitals in Bern
- Inselspital / Berne University Hospital: Freiburgstrasse 8, 3010 Bern | insel.ch
- Salem-Spital: Schänzlistrasse 39, 3013 Bern | hirslanden.ch
Hospitals in Fribourg
- Hôpital Daler Fribourg: Route de Bertigny 34, 1700 Fribourg | daler.ch
- Hôpital HFR Fribourg: Chemin des Pensionnats 2, 1708 Fribourg | h-fr.ch
- Hôpitaux Universitaires de Geneve: Rue Gabrielle-Perret-Gentil 4, 1205 Geneva | hug-ge.ch
- HUG – Hôpital des Enfants: Rue Willy-Donzé 6, 1205 Geneva | dea.hug-ge.ch
Hospitals in Graubünden
- Kantonsspital Graubünden: Loestrasse 170, 7000 Chur | ksgr.ch
Hospitals in Lausanne
- Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois (CHUV): Rue du Bugnon 46, 1011 Lausanne | chuv.ch
Hospitals in Lucerne
- Kantonsspital Luzern: Spitalstrasse 31, 6000 Lucerne | luks.ch
- Luzerner Kantonsspital Sursee: Spitalstrasse 16A, 6210 Sursee | luks.ch
- Luzerner Kantonsspital Wolhusen: Spitalstrasse, 6110 Wolhusen | luks.c
Hospitals in Neuchâtel
- Hôpital Neuchâtelois (La Chaux-de-Fonds): Rue de Chasseral 20, 2300 La Chaux-de-Fonds | h-ne.ch
Hospitals in Schaffhausen
- Spitäler Schaffhausen: Geissbergstrasse 81, 8208 Schaffhausen | spitaeler-sh.ch
Hospitals in Solothurn
- Bürgerspital Solothurn: Schöngrünstrasse 38, 4500 Solothurn | so-h.ch
Hospitals in St Gallen
- Kantonsspital St Gallen: Rorschacher Str. 95, 9007 St. Gallen | kssg.ch
- Spital Grabs: Spitalstrasse 44, 9472 Grabs | srrws.ch
Hospitals in Thurgau
- Spital Thurgau AG: Waldeggstrasse 8A, 8501 Frauenfeld | stgag.ch
Hospitals in Ticino
- Cardiocentro Ticino: Via Tesserete 48, 6900 Lugano | cardiocentro.org
- Ospedale Regionale di Lugano: Via Tesserete 46, 6900 Lugano | eoc.ch
Hospitals in Zug
- Kantonsspital Zug: Landhausstrasse 11, 6340 Baar | zgks.ch
Hospitals in Zurich
- Kantonsspital Winterthur: Brauerstrasse 15, 8401 Winterthur | ksw.ch
- Klinik Hirslanden: Witellikerstrasse 40, 8032 Zurich | hirslanden.ch
- Universitätsklinik Balgrist: Forchstrasse 340, 8000 Zurich | balgrist.ch
- University Children’s Hospital Zurich (Kinderspital Zurich): Steinwiesstrasse 75, 8032 Zürich | kispi.uzh.ch
- University Hospital Zurich (Universtäts Spitals Zürich): Wagistrasse 14, 8952 Schlieren | usz.ch