Help the refugees

If you move around the world by choice, consider helping those forced from their homes by conflict. Donate to the UN Refugee Agency today.

Home Living in Belgium Government & Law Social security in Belgium
Last update on February 10, 2021

Joining the social security system in Belgium is bureaucratic, but not difficult. Here is a brief guide to Belgian social security and your state benefits.

If you’re living and working in Belgium, you will be subject to pay social security in exchange for Belgian welfare benefits. Find out how to register for Belgian social security, how much Belgian social security you have to pay and what benefits you get in return.

Social security in Belgium

There are separate rules and separate institutions for the salaried, the self-employed, and civil servants. If you have a job, your employer likely takes care of the formalities and deducts contributions from your wages. Those with a salary receive coverage for seven sectors:

For the employed, typically your employer will pay around 25% on top of your salary into a social security fund, and you’ll contribute an extra 13 percent from your salary. Read more about Belgian taxes.

Self-employed individuals can also claim social security. They pay a lower total percentage than salaried persons, though less sectors receive coverage from the fund. However, self-employed individuals can pay more to cover themselves further. The National Institute of Social Security for the Self-Employed (RSVZ-INASTI) is the association in charge, and covers benefits for medical care, incapacity for work or invalidity, maternity insurance, family benefits, pensions, and bankruptcy.

Self-employed workers pay quarterly contributions towards their social security, which can range from a maximum of 22% of income and downward as earnings increase. Since 2008, freelancing persons also get coverage of petits risques/kleine risico’s. This means that claims can be made for doctor appointments, dentists and prescriptions in the same way as for salaried workers and civil servants. Read more about Belgian taxes and social security for self-employed workers.

With regards to civil servants, the rules differ as social security can be claimed through the relevant governmental department.

Additional support systems available in certain circumstances receive finances from government funds. These provide for pensions, unemployment benefits, and family benefits.

You can visit for a brochure detailing everything you have always wanted to know about social security. This brochure tells you about the structure of the system and your entitlements.

Registering for Belgian social security

To get social benefits, you will need to sign up with one of a number of specialized organisations or a Belgian health insurance company (mutuelle/mutualiteits), which act as collection agencies for the national social security offices. Once you register, they send you a Social Security Identity Card (SIS) – to be phased out in favor of your Belgian eID or ISI+ card – which is needed to get prescription drugs and other medical services.

International co-operation: Social security for internationals

Belgium has reciprocal social security arrangements with countries in the European Economic Area (European Union plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway) and Switzerland, as well as 22 non-EU countries, including Australia, Canada, and the US. Under these arrangements, you can claim and be awarded many of the same benefits as Belgian citizens, provided you carry out the necessary paperwork (i.e., registering with your town hall or getting your residence visa, if applicable). Visit for information in several languages.

Anyone posted to Belgium short-term is unaffected by Belgian social security as long as they are an EEA or Swiss national, or from a country that has an international social security treaty with Belgium. Ask the authority or social security office in your country for details.

Social security contacts

The social security offices are semi-autonomous parastatal institutions, under the administrative control of the Federal Public Service of Social Security. The salaried should contact RSZ-ONSS, the national social security office, and the self-employed can get more information from RSVZ-INASTI, the national institute for social insurance of the self-employed. EEA/Swiss nationals can get more information from the Overseas Social Security Office (DOSZ-OSSOM).

National Office for Social Security (RSZ-ONSS)
02 509 3111 |
Place Victor Horta 11, 1060 Brussels

National Institute of Social Security for the self-employed (RSVZ-INASTI)
02 546 4211 |
Place Jan Jacobs 6, 1000 Brussels

Overseas Social Security Office (DOSZ-OSSOM)
02 642 0511 |
Avenue Louise 194B, 1050 Brussels