How to get Spanish permanent visa or Spanish nationality

A guide to Spanish citizenship and permanent residence

Comments56 comments

Find out when you can apply for Spanish citizenship or permanent residency, and what conditions and paperwork you need to qualify.

If you want to live in Spain long term or even permanently, you will need to apply for either permanent residence or become a Spanish citizen. After you have lived in Spain for five years you can apply for permanent residence and after 10 years you can apply for Spanish nationality, although exemptions exist that allow certain people to apply sooner, for example, if you are married to a Spaniard or the child of a Spanish parent. Both Spanish citizenship and permanent residency allow you to stay living in Spain, but some differences exist between the two.

Should you choose Spanish permanent residency or Spanish citizenship?

Holding an EU long-term permanent residence permit allows you to stay on as a resident in Spain while retaining your own nationality and passport. As a Spanish permanent resident you will get most of the same benefits enjoyed by Spanish citizens as long as you fulfil certain conditions, such as being able to support yourself financially. You can move around the EU for limited periods, and longer with permission.

If you become a Spanish citizen, however, you will need to give up your original nationality and passport, unless you qualify for an exemption (see below). You will enjoy all the same rights as other Spanish citizens, as well as become a citizen of the EU with freedom of movement throughout the EU. You can also vote in European elections.

Brexit: British expats in Spain

It is unclear how the UK's vote to leave the EU will affect British expats living in Spain or wishing to relocate to Spain. British expats who already live in Spain might consider applying for Spanish citizenship if they meet the necessary criteria to main EU access. However, this also means surrending their British citizenship. British expats may also be asked in future to apply for a Blue Card, an approved EU-wide work permit that allows high-skilled, non-EU citizens to work and live in Spain and other EU countries. 

Applying for permanent residence in Spain

Once you have legally lived in Spain for five uninterrupted years, non-EU nationals can apply for an 'EU long-term residence permit'. A long-term residence permit allows you to stay in Spain indefinitely working or otherwise, under the same conditions as Spanish citizens.

You have to prove that you have adequate financial resources to provide for you and your family (if applicable) – such as pension, scholarship or salary – and proof of public or private health insurance with a company authorised to operate in Spain.

You may also be asked to submit:

  • a valid passport;
  • proof of legal residence in Spain eg. a long-term rental contract or receipts for rent;
  • criminal record certificate issued by the authorities in your home country;
  • medical certificate (certificado medico), in cases where the applicant didn't present it when applying for temporary residence.
  • proof that health assistance is guaranteed during your residence in Spain;
  • marriage or divorce certificate or other papers relating to your marital status (translated into Spanish if required).

When you have this permit, you can work freely and enjoy social services and benefits in Spain. You can generally move between other EU member states for up to three months, and longer for certain purposes if you’re granted a permit to do so.

If you hold a Blue Card from another EU-member state, and have lived elsewhere in the EU for the same period, this also permits you to long-term residence in Spain as long as you have lived for two years in Spain beforehand.

If you hold an EU long-term residence permit granted by another EU member state and want to stay on in Spain, you will have to relinquish your long-term residence status in the other country and apply for an EU long-term residence permit from the Foreigner’s Office (Oficina de Extranjeros) in Spain. Click here to find your local office.

How to get Spanish citizenship

You can apply for Spanish nationality after 10 years of residence in Spain. You can also acquire Spanish nationality through marriage or birth, even if you or your Spanish parents were born outside Spain. 

You will also be required to prove you are a ‘good citizen’ – financially stable with no criminal record – and be deemed by the authorities to have a ‘sufficient’ degree of integration into Spanish society, for example, being able to speak Spanish and taking part in social activities that are part of the Spanish way of life.

You have to apply at the Civil Registry where you live in Spain. You will need to take along the required supporting documents for your Spanish citizenship application (listed here) plus a completed Spanish citizenship application form.

You can apply for Spanish citizenship if you are 18 or older, 14 or older with legal assistance, or the legal guardian of a person under 14.

Exemptions to the 10-year rules
Refugees only wait five years and nationals from Spanish-American countries, Andorra, the Philippines, Equatorial Guinea, Portugal and those of Sephardic origin only have to wait two years. The Spanish government currently has a bill going through parliament that aims to change the law regarding those of Sephardic origin so that any applicant, Jewish or not, who can fulfil certain criteria such as having links to Sephardic culture or even knowledge of Ladino, the Judeo-Spanish language, may be offered instant naturalisation – so watch for updates.

The required period of residence for citizenship is just one year if you are born in Spain to legal foreign residents, married to a Spaniard, widowed from a Spaniard, or the child or grandchild (even if born outside Spain) of a Spanish national by birth or residence.

Descendents of expelled Sephardic Jews from Spain can also apply for Spanish citizenship without residing in Spain if they can prove special connections to Spain and pass tests on the Spanish language and history; applications must be submitted before 1 October 2018.

Spanish citizenship by origin or birth

You are considered Spanish by origin and can apply for Spanish citizenship by 'Option' (no residency period is required) if you:

  • have a Spanish mother or father.
  • were born in Spain to foreign parents, if at least one parent was also born in Spain (except children of diplomats and consuls accredited in Spain).
  • adopted by a Spaniard and under 18, or are over 18 and have been adopted within the last two years;
  • were born in Spain to foreign parents whose identity is unknown or country of origin is undetermined (stateless or refugee status), or if neither parents’ nationality could be legally passed onto you.

There are also other situations to qualify for Spanish citizenship, where residency is required for one year. These include those born outside Spain to parents (also born outside Spain) and grandparents all of whom were originally Spanish, those with a Spanish guardian or foster parent, or those who did not duly exercise their right to acquire Spanish nationality by option.

Spanish citizenship by marriage

You can fast-track citizenship if you are married to a Spaniard, where you can become a Spanish citizen after a one-year residence period in Spain. The application and conditions follow the standard citizenship procedure, with the exception that you don't need to wait 10 years to apply. You will have to surrender your existing citizenship to become Spanish.

You can also claim Spanish citizenship as the widower or widow of a Spaniards, provided you were not separated or de facto at the time of your spouse's death.

Fees and timeline

Spain charges a non-refundable fee to process your citizenship application, which varies and can range from EUR 60–100 even if your application is rejected. Fees may also apply to issue certificates and documents required for your application.

Dual nationality

If you are successful, you will have to swear your loyalty to the King and promise to obey the Spanish constitution and laws.

Unless you’re from a Spanish-American country, Andorra, the Philippines, Equatorial Guinea or Portugal, you will also have to renounce your previous nationality. Sephardic Jews and descendents can also maintain their original citizenship to have dual nationality.

You will lose your Spanish citizenship if you reside abroad and take up another nationality (or use your old nationality) for more than three years, unless within that three-year period you declare to the Civil Registry your will to keep Spanish nationality.

For more information

Read more


Note: This information is for guidance only and you should seek specific advice from the Spanish embassy or consulate in your home country.

Expatica Ask the Expert
Need advice? Post your question on Expatica's Ask the Expert free service to see if we can help. 


Updated 2016.

Comment here on the article, or if you have a suggestion to improve this article, please click here.

If you believe any of the information on this page is incorrect or out-of-date, please let us know. Expatica makes every effort to ensure its articles are as comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date as possible, but we're also grateful for any help! (If you want to contact Expatica for any other reason, please follow the instructions on this website's contact page.)

Captcha Note: Characters are case sensitive
The details you provide on this page will not be used to send any unsolicited e-mail, and will not be sold to a third party. Privacy policy .

56 Comments To This Article

  • Joan posted:

    on 18th May 2017, 01:51:49 - Reply

    Thankyou for this forum.
    I am Australian married to a spaniard (8yrs) We are travelling and currently in Peru, however have decided to continue our travels and actually move to Spain. He left 8 years ago. I know I can apply for residency if I return back to Australia, however, prefer to just keep rolling forward. Can You advise my process? ie although I can enter Spain as tourist, can I disregard having an exit ticket back to Australia?

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert free service.] 

  • nisbah posted:

    on 3rd May 2017, 07:32:20 - Reply

    Hola! My query is for my sister in law, she is married to a Spanish citizen who has abandoned her in Pakistan. He has not given her residential stay card to her, how can we find out if she is able to stay in Spain as a permanent resident. She is now in Pakistan and lived in Spain for just over 1 year.mcan you please help? can she go back to Spain?

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert free service.] 

  • jinririllorta posted:

    on 11th March 2017, 08:21:20 - Reply


    I am Jinri from Philippines. I just wanna as if I am legible to apply for Spanish citizenship/nationality because my great grandmother is a Spanish. Hope i can hear from you i would totally appreciate it if you can help me answer my query.

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert free service.]

    Thank you in advance.


    Jinri Rillorta

  • noman posted:

    on 13th February 2017, 07:47:45 - Reply

    Hello, I am having the 5years residancy of spin can i stay more than 6 monhs out of spain

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert free service.]

  • Samo posted:

    on 8th February 2017, 15:58:06 - Reply

    Laura can you please send or share the link for the Edict you have mentioned?
  • Laura posted:

    on 30th January 2017, 15:42:50 - Reply

    I am writing to comment about the Spanish citizenship page. It states that you have to "give up" your original citizenship in order to receive Spanish citizenship. This is not entirely accurate. While you have to swear an oath which includes that wording to obtain Spanish citizenship, the Spanish courts determined that it is in "word" only and without requiring the citizen in question to prove that they did it. For example, stating that a US American will renounce their citizenship in front of Spanish authorities does not qualify as renouncing American citizenship, according to US laws, which means the person in question will be considered a Spanish citizen, according to Spanish law and assuming the use of their Spanish passport at least once every 3 years, while still having American citizenship, according to US law. I think it's an important distinction for the readers of Expatica to know since it will depend on the law of the country of their first citizenship on whether or not they will be required to give that citizenship up. This clarification can be found in the following edict from the Spanish government from 2014.

    EDD 2014/286246 Res. DGRN de 11 abril 2014. Registro Civil: %u201C(%u2026)la renuncia a la nacionalidad anterior que exige el art%uFFFDculo 23 b) del C%uFFFDdigo civil como requisito de validez de la adquisici%uFFFDn de la nacionalidad espa%uFFFDola ha sido interpretada por la doctrina oficial de la Direcci%uFFFDn General de los Registros y del Notariado como un mero requisito formal de "declaraci%uFFFDn de la renuncia ", con independencia de los efectos que tal declaraci%uFFFDn pueda desplegar para el ordenamiento jur%uFFFDdico extranjero respectivo, es decir, al margen de que dicha renuncia produzca o no de iure la p%uFFFDrdida de la nacionalidad a la que se declara renunciar , ya que lo contrario implicar%uFFFDa subordinar la adquisici%uFFFDn de la nacionalidad espa%uFFFDola a la concepci%uFFFDn propia sobre la nacionalidad del Derecho extranjero (vid. Resoluci%uFFFDn de 24 de septiembre de 1971)%u201D
  • salamatukarim posted:

    on 21st January 2017, 14:02:09 - Reply

    please i have lost my spanish resident also i was 17 years old so they refuse to give me all because my mom was not there i was there with only my dad so they said if i complete 18 years i can come for the passport .now i am in the UK and i have lost my resident .so please what do i have to do can i go to London and take my passport without my resident or without my birth certificate .please reply me i need your help

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert free service.]

  • Anon posted:

    on 18th November 2016, 16:59:59 - Reply

    So permanent residency gives no gaurantees to Brits after Brexit ? Seems pointless applying for it then .. EU citizens that have permanent status in the UK have been told that they can stay and transfer to the ILR (indefinite leave card) .. Surely permanent residents in the EU should expect the same rights .
  • Dave posted:

    on 11th October 2016, 19:43:58 - Reply

    I'd like you to Clarify the issue of "losing" British citizenship on acquiring Spanish nationality, While I understand that it IS possible to renounce British citizenship through British authorities (and documentation supplied by them), the Spanish document is drawn up by their own authorities and is not recognised by the British government - which essentially means that anywhere but Spain, you can actually retain both nationalities. Can you comment?

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert free service.]

  • ZainAzhar posted:

    on 20th September 2016, 18:05:35 - Reply

    Hello Sir
    I am From Pakistan and my parents as well, my father is living here in Spain more than 10 years and he apply for nationality. I am under 18 i have Spain permanent residence card and i am living here for more than 5 years, i am dependent on my father. My question is can i apply for Spanish passport with him.
    Please answer me as soon as you can.
    Many thanks in advance

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert free service.]

  • Saf posted:

    on 5th September 2016, 13:10:23 - Reply

    If you are a citizen of an Asian country and you are applying for citizenship, would you have to surrender your home country nationality? or you can keep both?

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert free service.]

  • Perri posted:

    on 28th July 2016, 19:49:59 - Reply

    My husband was born in Spanish in 1957 to parents from the US. Can he get a Spanish citizenship? If so, how?

    [Moderator's note: You can post questions on our Ask the Expert service.]

  • Jarisse posted:

    on 25th July 2016, 15:12:02 - Reply

    if i married and divorce to an italian in spain after 1.5 yearand have a job,can you remain here to continue work?

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert free service.]

  • LizMelendreras posted:

    on 25th July 2016, 22:25:11 - Reply

    Hola, my father is Cuban and Spanish. His father is born and raised Espanol, therefore my father has obtained his Spanish citizenship. Is it possible for me to apply through my father and my paternal grandfather's Spanish citizenship? Muchas gracias

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert free service.]

  • Ana posted:

    on 6th July 2016, 23:09:19 - Reply

    I have read that nationals of Spanish-American countries must only wait two years before applying to become a Spanish citizen, can anyone shed some light on this?

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert free service.]

  • robert posted:

    on 28th June 2016, 12:58:09 - Reply

    we have lived in spain for 16 years and have resedencias and use spanish health services paid for by uk. we are both over 70 and would like to know if the out vote will affect our status ie medical ect here please.

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert free service.]

  • Martin posted:

    on 20th June 2016, 17:06:35 - Reply

    I have lived in Spain for over 10 years and I am in a civil partnership with a Spanish National. What will be my situation if the UK leaves the EU?

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert free service.]

  • Monica posted:

    on 9th April 2016, 14:47:32 - Reply

    My mother is Spanish Citizen. I live in USA and I am american citizen. I would love to move there with her. How can I do that??

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert free service.]

  • Lorraine posted:

    on 8th April 2016, 17:24:05 - Reply

    Good day and thank you for this site. I am assisting my friend who was born in Cape Town, South Africa in 1968 to a Spanish father. His parents were not married and he was handed over for adoption. His father left soon after and returned to Spain. Would my friend be able to get a Spanish passport even though his parents were not married? Situation 2 is that his biological mother later married a Spanish citizen and obtained a passport being the spouse I believe. Would my friend be able to get a Spanish passport through his mother maybe? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert free service.]

  • Yvette posted:

    on 2nd April 2016, 21:14:16 - Reply

    HOLA! I am a Great Granddaughter to Spanish Grandparents with my grand fathers Birth certificate showing where his parents are from as well as we carry the last name to a city in Spain named after our family ancestors. I understand a year for waiting is required but does it have to be done in Spain? Also, what else is required for the process to obtain citizenship? And do we Have To surrender our current citiizenship?Much Thanks

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert free service.]

  • Deola posted:

    on 23rd February 2016, 14:11:35 - Reply

    I am a pure West African citizen from Nigeria, and i will love to obtain a permit to permanently reside in Spain please how can i go about it ?

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert free service.]

  • Mark posted:

    on 29th December 2015, 12:52:29 - Reply

    Hello I have been working in Spain for 3 years and become unemployed the last 2 years. Can I Apply for permanent residence permit ?

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert free service.]

  • ayesha posted:

    on 3rd November 2015, 21:40:23 - Reply

    Yes u cannot come here again .If you have one or of 2 years card then u can live max 6 months and if u have permanent card then max 1 year u can stay out from spain .

  • tara posted:

    on 4th November 2015, 02:23:46 - Reply

    Yes you can have dual Spainish citizenship ONLY if you are already a citizen of certain spainish speaking south American countries.If you are Brazilian national you'll be fine to have both. Unlike alot of these other folk

  • Bernie posted:

    on 26th October 2015, 11:20:28 - Reply

    Hi, I recently was married to a Russian here in Spain, who has a legal resident card. I am American and not legal now...what must I do in order to obtain a resident card being that I am now married to a legal resident of Spain. Appreciate any answer that can direct me appropriatel.

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on Ask the Expert service]

  • Naqash001 posted:

    on 17th October 2015, 23:13:05 - Reply

    hi there, i have permanent residency of spain (EU regumen comuntario).Basically i am from pakistan. my question is "can i stay in my country up to 2 years" . somebody told me that if i will stay in pakistan up to 1 year then my residency will be invalid and i cannot come back in spain. help me by answer

  • matt posted:

    on 12th July 2015, 00:46:06 - Reply

    my grandfather is from Spain but is dead now, can i get citizenship in Spain?
  • Erik posted:

    on 25th June 2015, 07:54:44 - Reply

    MY grandmother had a mother who was born in Spain but moved to Cuba, she is dead now and my gran now lives in the US. but can my grandmother still claim Spanish citizenship automatically from her mother? And if my grandmother is able to get Spanish nationality does this mean I can get spanish citizenship within just one year of living in Spain as the article says since my grandmother became a Spanish citizen?

    [Moderator's note: Please post questions on our Ask the Expert service]

  • ashar posted:

    on 14th May 2015, 16:28:02 - Reply

    can u please describe be the process of spain imigration? i want to go spain and start some small business like cafee, shope etc.. , how is the process?

    My wife have Spanish residency and live in Pakistan with me but my wife residency expire on June 2016 and i have one 8 months baba, i m graduate in compute science BCS (Hons), also i have MCSA certified. Now i m working as a NOC support engineer. my date of birth 2 June 1981.

    please provide me the required information.

    waiting your response.

  • KASHIF posted:

    on 17th May 2015, 20:17:08 - Reply

    sir i recidence card 5 year i stay in spain 10 year i apply for nationality in spain .but what law officer first intrew or test ??
    this is a law of spain?
    i see the information no intrew and test .u send the information for full detail for nationality of spain.

    [Moderator's note: Please post questions on our Ask the Expert service]

  • Inaki posted:

    on 30th March 2015, 08:36:23 - Reply

    Please advice

    I am a Filipino grandfather is pure Spanish that migrated to the Phil during the Franco era in Spain and eventually married a Spanish Mestiza here in the father became a citizen of Spain last 2008 even without going there..but he died a few years ago..currently all i got is his Spanish passport..please advise steps and procedures for me to obtain my Spanish citizenship...tnx in advance

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert service]

  • jbjares posted:

    on 1st March 2015, 23:43:27 - Reply

    Hi, Ladies and gentlemen.

    My name is Joao Bosco Jares, Im 32 years old, married and father of two children. I am the great-grandson of a Spanish family, but born in Brazil. I have living one year in Ireland Republic, working as software development on IT area.
    My grandmother and my mother (both born in Brazil) have passport and Spanish citizenship.

    Therefore, I am interested to know if I have the right to ask my Spanish citizenship too?

    Thanks in advance.

    PS.: All advices are welcome, as well as, I'm looking for help even paying fee for it (in case of advocacy consultants). If you're a advocacy consultant, please reply me in private through my email

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert service]

  • Hussain posted:

    on 12th February 2015, 19:40:25 - Reply

    I am a British national and living in Spain from two years. I married to a non EU national from outside EU. My wife has joined me in Spain three moths ago. I would like to apply Spanish nationality for my wife. Can you please tell me when can she apply for Spanish nationality and how long will it take.

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our forums or Ask the Expert free service]

  • Abigail posted:

    on 1st January 2015, 01:39:11 - Reply

    I am a daughter of a Sephardic Jew who was adopted by a Sephardic Jewish family before the moving to Morocco. My grandparents who adopted my father later moved to French Canada which is Quebec. I was born in Canada and obtain a Canadian citizenship. However, I would like to know if I am eligible for a Spanish Citizenship, based on my Sephardic Jew heritage. My last names are Judeo-Spanish. My father pasted away and so have my grandparents. I would like to make them proud and obtain a Spanish Citizenship in their honour. What are my options? How can I go about this? How can i become a Spanish Citizen from Sephardic Jew background?
    Who do I contact to help me on this case, since I currently live in Canada?

    [Moderator's note: You can post questions on our Ask the Expert free service]

  • john posted:

    on 17th November 2014, 23:29:23 - Reply

    There is NO TEST for the swearing in ceremony for Spanish citizenship. It's a group ceremony where you repeat 5 lines read aloud by a judge that takes 6 minutes. 2 weeks later you receive a Nationality certificate in the mail, and get an appointment to get a Spanish Passport at the Police Station. Easy.

  • Ala posted:

    on 1st December 2014, 15:01:07 - Reply

    My grandfather was born in Spain in 1935. His mother is a Spanish originally. She traveled to Palestine in 1938 because of the Spanish civil war. These dayes we have got a birth certificate of my grandfather from civil registration of Las Palmas. my father will obtain the Spanish nationality this year (2014). Can I get the Spanish nationality as a grandchild of a Spanish grandfather? Please take in you account that My age is NOW 29 years old and I did not take MY opportunity/RIGHT of choose the Spanish nationality in the past. because we did not able to extract my grandfather's birth certificate from civil registration, and we were deprived from it by force as a result of civil war since 1937. and we live now in Palestine under occupation and with no real nationality because it is not independence country . best regards

    [Moderator's note: Please refer questions to our Ask the Expert free service]

  • Ivane posted:

    on 29th September 2014, 08:57:44 - Reply

    My name is Ivane Jashiashvili, I am Georgian citizen. I am looking for some detailed information about living permission in Spain. My wife and I bought an apartment in Spain (Madrid) some time ago. as long as we own our property in Spain All my family is register in Madrid. My family and I want to get permanent Spanish visa. can you give me directions regarding that fact?
    Also, I want to inform you that I run my own business in Georgia, and my monthly income is more than 3000 EU. looking forward your answer. thanks in advance
  • Morgan posted:

    on 3rd September 2014, 12:52:38 - Reply

    For those of you asking about obtaining perminant residency with a student visa it's not possible until you can prove you have lived in Spain for three years. Furthermore, by proof they mean specifically being empadronado (registering your residence with the town hall). On top of that you must also have official fingerprints from your country of former residence/citizenship sent to Spain, show proof of health insurance in Spain, proof that you can support yourself and a job contract (which means you need to find a place to work and have them contract you before you can even start working). In addition to all of this, AFTER you have the appointment to submit the documents (which can be over a month away from the moment you try to get it) the entire process to just get the ok letter takes at least two months. To be clear this type of residency is called ARIAGO. Residency is not so easy to get if you are a nonEU citizen. I am an American and from experience of myself and others I know the process takes anywhere from 6 months to a year after living for three years officially empadronado.
  • Eber Peña posted:

    on 3rd September 2014, 07:43:23 - Reply

    Hola I'm Mexican-American
    I know my paternal grandparents were Jews from Spain
    And I will like to know if I can apply for a Spanish citizenship ?
  • Steph posted:

    on 7th August 2014, 09:58:10 - Reply

    I am a British national and my husband is non eu national
    I would like to know how and when he can apply for a Spanish citizenship
  • ryan posted:

    on 28th July 2014, 16:15:33 - Reply

    I am an Australian married to a spanish citizen and have obtained my residency card and lived in Spain for one year with it. My questions are; can I now apply for citizenship?, is there a speaking test? How long can it take? Do I lose my Australian citizenship if accepted? Can I leave Spain whilst my application is pending?
    Any help here would be appreciated
  • Daniel posted:

    on 2nd July 2014, 10:10:53 - Reply

    My query would be the same as what Douglas V stated. Somebody please answer to clarify if one can apply for Spanish citizenship after being in Spain for 2 years as a student with student residency permit/card. Thanks!
  • Gini posted:

    on 13th June 2014, 01:09:48 - Reply

    I am interested in getting Spain citizenship/passport for my sons. I was born in Spain to American parents but have never claimed my citizenship. I live in the States and am having a hard time finding someone who can help me with this paper work. Do you have any suggestions who to contact for assistance other than the Spanish Embassy who have not returned my calls.
  • Douglas V. posted:

    on 27th May 2014, 18:53:26 - Reply

    I have both Mexican and American citizenship however I would like to apply for Spanish citizenship. I was wondering how difficult it would be to do that? If I enter the country as a student for 2 years could I apply for citizenship after that time period? Thank you in advance for any advice.
  • Victor posted:

    on 7th May 2014, 14:28:47 - Reply

    I am non eu citizen of spain. Now i am permanent resident of spain. Now i like to bring my non eu unmarried son here. So how can i apply for this and manage a visa for him to move spain with me and work????
  • Albert posted:

    on 17th April 2014, 20:18:12 - Reply

    Where do you find this list of surnames?
  • miguel posted:

    on 28th March 2014, 22:24:20 - Reply

    @joey, you must be a JEWISH SEPHARDIC first to be eligible.The surname list only applies for those who are with the blood of sephardic jew. Filipinos are welcome to be a citizen of spain as long as you are legally residing on spain for at least 2 years.
  • Joey posted:

    on 28th March 2014, 04:08:30 - Reply

    I am from the Philippines. With the passing of the Sephardic Jew Law, and since i decended from the surname in the list, i think am eligible to apply for a Spanish citizenship. What are the guidelines to start the process? Am excited with this development. Thank u Spain!

    [Moderator's note: For expert help, please direct your question to our 'Ask the Expert' service]

  • Rose posted:

    on 27th March 2014, 11:54:51 - Reply

    I am from Philippines and currently living and working in Madrid Spain for 5 years. I would like to obtain the spanish citizenship, I am on going of completing my requirements. I just would like to ask what are the possible questions in the interview in obtaining a citizenship? That would be nice if you can help:)

    [Moderator's note: For expert help, please direct your question to our 'Ask the Expert' service]

  • JR posted:

    on 25th March 2014, 09:30:01 - Reply

    I am from the Philippines and currently working in the middle east. My family name is Rojas. I am interested in in becoming Spanish citizen is it possible?
  • Dennis posted:

    on 22nd March 2014, 16:58:46 - Reply

    One of my Dads grandparent was from Spain , can I obtain citizenship thru them? I am an American

    [Moderator's note: For expert help, please direct your question to our 'Ask the Expert' service]

  • rima posted:

    on 20th March 2014, 20:21:39 - Reply

    hi, my mum is going to submit her documents for spanish citizenship but she did not inform about the test. so she just want to know what kind a question can be asked, when is the test and is it vocal test or written? many thanks

    [Moderator's note: For expert help, please direct your question to our 'Ask the Expert' service]

  • David Jenkins posted:

    on 29th October 2013, 00:43:12 - Reply

    Applying for Spanish citizenship is not straightforward. Firstly, it can take nearly two years. Secondly, there is no interview with a judge. Thirdly, be careful about your "legal residency".. This means ten years of having your residency card. That you are an European citizen with a right to llive in Spain from the moment you arrive does not seem to count.
  • Lucas posted:

    on 26th September 2013, 23:24:24 - Reply

    Hola! my name is Lucas, i have submitted the documents and paperwork at the ministry of justice. Now how long does it usually take to procure the Spanish Passport. Prior receiving it do i have to undergo any interview and any other formalities that needs to be followed.
  • David posted:

    on 14th August 2013, 12:08:54 - Reply

    Thanks for the article. Getting ready to submit my documents but concerned about the 'test'. Your article suggests this is performed later by a judge during an interview. Is this correct or should I expect an evaluation during submission of documents?
    Do you know an internet site where I can I find information about the infamous 30 questions that will be asked?
  • Denise posted:

    on 14th November 2012, 18:10:56 - Reply

    My son would like to work for the National Police here in Spain, and has been told many times that you must be a Spanish citizen, or renounce your British citizenship. Having read your article, this now seems to not be the case.

    [Moderator's note: For expert help, please direct your question to our 'Ask the Expert' service]