Taxes in Germany

Income tax in Germany for employees

Comments13 comments

If you're working in Germany, here's a guide to personal tax liabilities for workers in Germany.

All German residents are liable for income tax on their worldwide income and assets. Non-residents are subject to German income tax in respect of German-source income. Unlike some other countries, Germany does not have a special tax regime for incoming expats, and you may also be liable for taxes in your home country.

The annual tax return and assessment

All persons subject to German income tax must file an income tax return annually with the appropriate local tax office (depending on the place of residence).

You must file a German income tax return with the local tax authorities after the end of the tax year – in Germany, the tax year is the calendar year. The normal deadline is 31 May, which is automatically extended to 31 December if the tax return is prepared by a tax professional. After filing, the tax return is reviewed by the tax authorities and once the review is finalised, an assessment notice is sent out.

Individual income tax rates 2018

The first €9,000 (or €18,000 for married couples submitting a combined return) earned each year is tax-free. Any higher amount is subject to income tax.

Income tax is progressive, starting at 14% and rising incrementally to 42%, or for very high incomes, 45%. The top tax rate of 42% applies to taxable income above €54,950. For taxable income above €260,533, a 45% tax is applicable.

In addition to income tax, everyone has to pay solidarity tax, which is capped at 5.5% of your income tax.

Finally, if you are a member of a church registered in Germany, you will also have to pay a church tax of 8 or 9% of your income (depending on which federal state you live in).

So what is taxable income in Germany?

Any income from the following categories counts as taxable income:

  • income from agriculture and forestry;
  • Income from a trade or business;
  • income from independent personal services;
  • income from employment, including compensation from past employment;
  • income from capital investment;
  • rental income from immovable property and certain tangible movable property;
  • income from royalties; and
  • other income (gains from private transactions, alimony, annuities, etc.).

In general, all income except interests, dividends and capital gains on stocks is taxed at the tax rates mentioned above.

Interests, dividends and capital gains on stocks are subject to a flat tax of 25% plus the solidarity charge and church tax if applicable.

Some types of income are tax exempt but are used to determine the tax rate, like unemployment benefits, maternity leave payments and certain income that has been taxed in another country due to a double tax treaty.

Social security contributions in Germany

The compulsory social insurance scheme includes the following:

  • Pension insurance (Rentenversicherung)
  • Unemployment insurance (Arbeitslosenversicherung)
  • Health insurance (Krankenversicherung)
  • Nursing insurance for disability and old age (Pflegeversicherung)

Employees are subject to the compulsory social security system. The employer withholds the employee's share from wage and salary payments. Social security contributions are generally paid 50% by the employer and 50% by the employee.

The employer must withhold the employee's part from the salary and transfer it together with the employer's part to the health care institution, which then distributes the relevant amounts to the other social security institutions. The contributions depend on the employee's salary up to certain maximum levels.

For 2017, the rates (including both the employee's and the employer's parts) are seen below: 


Employer contribution

Employee contribution

Health Insurance



Nursing care insurance



Pension insurance



Unemployment insurance



Accident insurance



Seconded employees

Germany's social security system applies to all employees who work in and are paid in Germany. It also applies to employees working abroad if their employer seconds them for a limited period of time.

Employees who are seconded to another EEA country (EU Member States, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) or Switzerland, avoid a double levy of social security contributions by EU Regulations. An employee can apply for an exemption from social security contributions in the other EEA country for 12 months with a further 12-month extension. If it is in the employee's interest, an exceptional exemption for a period of 5 years may also be applied for. In such cases, the German employer continues to withhold German social security contributions.

The same provisions also apply to employees who are seconded from another EEA country or Switzerland to Germany. They may be exempt from German social security contributions during their temporary activity in Germany. In these cases, there are no withholding obligations as regards German contributions.

Employees who are seconded to Germany for a limited period and continue to be paid by their non-resident employer are not subject to German social security contributions. An obligation to withhold social security contributions, therefore, does not generally arise for non-resident employers.

Outside the area of application of the EU Regulations, double charge of social security contributions is avoided by bilateral agreements.





Comment here on the article, or if you have a suggestion to improve this article, please click here.

If you believe any of the information on this page is incorrect or out-of-date, please let us know. Expatica makes every effort to ensure its articles are as comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date as possible, but we're also grateful for any help! (If you want to contact Expatica for any other reason, please follow the instructions on this website's contact page.)

Captcha Note: Characters are case sensitive
The details you provide on this page will not be used to send any unsolicited e-mail, and will not be sold to a third party. Privacy policy .

3 Comments To This Article

  • Eric posted:

    on 7th January 2014, 09:38:32 - Reply

    Yes certainly, google for german wage calculator and adjust the number of children accordingly (as well as the tax category you belong)
  • Germantax posted:

    on 10th April 2013, 23:27:44 - Reply


    sorry to say that.... Your article contains mistakes - please revise!


    ....(married tax table: EUR 8,060) is wrong. The € 8.060 was the tax-free amount up to 2012. For married couples the law grants a tax-free amount of 2 * € 8.130 = € 16.260!

    ...which is capped at 5.5 percent of your income. What ? It is 5,5 % of the income TAX.

  • frank posted:

    on 10th April 2013, 02:09:10 - Reply displays a table of already calculated net salaries in Germany