Here is a list of school holidays in Luxembourg in 2019 and 2020 to help you plan what to do if you have children in Luxembourg schools.
You’ll need to know when the school holidays in Luxembourg are if you have kids in school there, especially if you work and need to organise holiday childcare. Luxembourg schools have six holidays throughout the year, plus they also close on public holidays.
School holidays in Luxembourg
State schools in Luxembourg have the same holiday dates across the country. Schools generally start in the middle of September and end mid-July. In between there are holidays for autumn/All Saints (one week), Christmas (two weeks), winter/carnival (one week), spring/Easter (two weeks), Pentecost (one week) and summer (eight weeks), plus days off for public holidays.
School holidays in Luxembourg’s private international schools may be slightly different from state schools. Check with your child’s school for information on exact holiday dates.
Families typically use school holidays in Luxembourg as a time to get together to celebrate festivities such as Christmas and Easter, have vacations or day trips, or plan activities for kids. There may also be other important festivities or celebrations that occasionally fall within Luxembourg school holiday periods.
Luxembourg school holiday dates 2018–19
- All Saints/Autumn break: 27 October – 4 November 2018
- Christmas break: 22 December 2018 – 6 January 2019
- Carnival/Winter break: 16–24 February 2019
- Easter break: 6–22 April 2019
- Pentecost/Spring break: 25 May – 2 June 2019
- Whit Monday: 10 June 2019
- Summer break: 13 July – 15 September 2019
Luxembourg school holiday dates 2019–20
- All Saints/Autumn break: 26 October – 3 November 2019
- Christmas break: 21 December 2019 – 5 January 2020
- Carnival/Winter break: 15–23 February 2020
- Easter break: 4–19 April 2020
- Pentecost/Spring break: 30 May – 7 June 2020
- Summer break: 16 July – 14 September 2020
Additional holidays and days off
Schools in Luxembourg have additional days off when term time public holidays fall on a week day. These are:
- Labor Day/May Day: 1 May
- National Day (Grand Duke’s Birthday): 23 June
Individual schools may also close for certain purposes such as staff training or pupil book days. You’ll need to check with the school for a comprehensive list of these, or check the school’s website. Many schools, such as the International School of Luxembourg, publish this information online.
Childcare during Luxembourg school holidays
There are many childcare options and children’s activities on offer in Luxembourg, so working parents don’t have to stress about what to do with their kids. These include:
- Day care centers (maison relais in French) run by the local municipalities
- Various holiday activities and holiday camps for children of all ages
- Summer academy organised by the European Circle for the Proliferation of Art
- Sports camps run by private firms and by the Luxembourg City municipality
- Holiday workshops at the National Museum of History and Art
- Towns organising activities such as temporary beaches and trampolining
- Childminders, au pairs, nannies and babysitters
You can find information about holiday activities on the official portal of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Details of other childcare options such as childminding in our guide to daycare in Luxembourg.