A list of international airports in Switzerland, plus information on visa requirements for travelling to a Swiss airport.
Switzerland is conveniently located in the centre of Europe, making Switzerland’s airports popular launching points for travel within the European continent. There are seven airports in Switzerland that serve domestic and international flights to and from Switzerland, plus a number of private Swiss airports.
The busiest airports in Switzerland are in Zurich, Geneva and Basel. The Zurich Airport had the lion’s share of passengers in 2015 with more than 26.2 million passengers flying from the airport. Geneva was the second busiest Swiss airport with 15.7 million passengers in 2015.
The main Swiss airports, specifically the airports located in Zurich, Geneva, Basel and Bern, are popular starting points for tourists looking to access the top places to visit in Switzerland.
The national carrier is Swiss airlines (officially, Swiss International Air Lines or SWISS), 16.5 million passengers annually to 102 destinations (76 in Europe and 26 overseas). From its hub in Zurich and the regional airport of Geneva, Swiss international airlines services around 50 countries throughout Europe, North America, South America, Africa and Asia. Swiss airlines is part of the Lufthansa Group and a member of the Star Alliance.
This guide includes a list of international airports in Switzerland, plus information on visa requirements for travelling to a Swiss airport.
Swiss airports: Do you need a visa?
Though Switzerland is not part of the European Union, it became a member of the Schengen Area in 2008. Passport checks for travellers arriving at a Swiss airport from other Schengen member countries were lifted in 2009. These travellers can simply walk to the airport’s baggage hall and claim, although those coming from non-Schengen member countries will still have their passports checked.
Before arriving at an airport to Switzerland, make sure you have the appropriate Swiss visa or residence permit to avoid any complications or being deported to your home country. Read Expatica’s extensive guide to visas and permits in Switzerland.
Additionally, under Swiss law, all visitors travelling to one of Switzerland’s airports must always carry their government-issued ID or a copy of their passport.
International airports in Switzerland
Zurich International Airport (ZRH)
8058 Zürich-Flughafen, Switzerland
T: +41 (0)43 816 22 11
Bern Airport (BRN)
Flugplatzstrasse 31, 3123 Belp, Switzerland
T: +41 (0)31 960 21 11
Genève Aéroport (GVA)
Route de l’Aéroport 21, 1215 Le Grand-Saconnex, Switzerland
T: +41 (0)22 717 71 11
EuroAirport Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg International Airport (BSL)
68304 Saint-Louis, France
T: +33 (0)38 990 31 11
Lugano Airport (LUG)
Via Aeroporto, 6982 Agno, Switzerland
T: +41 (0)91 610 12 82
Sion Airport (SIR)
Route de l’Aéroport, 1950 Sion, Switzerland
T: +41 (0)27 329 06 00
St Gallen-Altenrhein Airport (ACH)
Flughafenstrasse 11, 9423 Thal, Switzerland
T: +41 (0)71 858 51 65
Private Swiss airports
There are several private Swiss airports, including:
- Ascona: Ascona Airport (ACO)
- Lucerne/Emmen: Emmen Airport (EML)
- St Moritz: Samedan Airport (SMV)
If you wish to fly with a Swiss airline, you’ll find there are several to choose from:
- Belair Airlines (operating from Zurich Airport and EuroAirport Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg
- Darwin Airline (operating from Geneva Airport and Lugano Airport
- EasyJet Switzerland (operating from EuroAirport Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg and Geneva International Airport
- Edelweiss Air (operting from Zurich Airport)
- Germania Flug (operating from Zurich Airport)
- Helvetic Airways (operating from Zurich Airport)
- Jet Aviation (operating from Zurich Airport and Teterboro Airport)
- SkyWork Airlines (operating from Bern Airport)
- Swiss Global Airlines (operating from Zurich Airport)
- Swiss International Airlines (operating from Zurich Airport)
Private Swiss airlines
- ExecuJet Europe (operating from EuroAirport Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg)
- Gama Aviation (operating from Geneva Airport)
- TAG Aviation (operating from Geneva Airport)
Photo credits (CC-Licence): Carlos Delgado (Zurich airport Switzerland).