French visa for join a partner or relative in France

French visa to join a relative or partner in France

Comments12 comments

If you are moving to France to join a relative or spouse, you can apply for a French family reunification visa.

If you have family in France, you can apply for a French family reunification visa to join a relative or partner living in France, provided you fulfil certain permit conditions. These will depend on a number of factors, such as nationality, the type of French permit your relative has, and how long he or she has been living there.

If you are a citizen of the EU/EEA or Switzerland, you are free to come to France without any visa. Read our guide for EU/EEA/Swiss nationals moving to France.

This guide to getting a French visa to join a relative or partner in France includes:


Relatives of EU/EEA/Swiss citizens

If you have a relative who is a EU/EEA/Swiss citizen living in France, you are allowed to join them even if you are not from one of those countries yourself.

You can get a tourist visa valid for up to 90 days, free of charge, if you apply to the embassy/consulate with a marriage certificate (if applicable), proof of your spouse’s nationality and a travel itinerary. To stay for longer than 90 days, you will have to apply for a family reunification visa (see below).

Information for family reunification for relatives of EU/EEA/Swiss nations can be found in our guide for EU/EEA/Swiss nationals moving to France.

Family in France

Relatives of non-EU/EEA/Swiss nationals 

Spouses and minor children (under 18) can apply to join family members in France who are not EU/EEA/Swiss citizens, living in France, under the following conditions:

  • The family member you are going to join must be living in France for at least 18 months (12 months for Algerians), with a valid residence permit for one year.
  • Your relative must have adequate finances (an amount equal to the monthly minimum wage: EUR 1,149 for 2 to 3 people; EUR 1,272 for 4 or 5; and EUR 1,387 for a family of 6 or more).
  • There must be enough room for you: French standards range from 22 to 28 sqm for a couple (depending on which city or region you live in,) and 10sqm for an extra person. 

Your relative must go in person to either the OFII office (for most countries) or the offices of the Direction départementale des affaires sanitaires et sociales (DDASS), which is the local medical and social services department, to file an application. He or she may be asked for proof of financial stability and the accommodation may be inspected.

If the application is successful, you can join your relative in Francebut you will need to get a long-stay visa (see Expatica's guide to the French visa system) from the embassy/consulate in your home country, valid for one year, which then acts as a residence card (VLS-TS). The visa is free of charge. You must enter France within 3 months of receiving the visa, and you have to register with the local branch of the OFII (Office Français de l’Immigration et de l’Intégration) within two months of arriving in France. If you are staying for longer than a year, then you need to apply for a residence card (carte de séjour); see The complete guide to the French visa system.

Note: A medial test must be passed upon arrival in France (for residents of Armenia, Cameroon, Mali, Morocco, Senegal, Tunisia and Turkey, this text must be passed from your home country before arriving in France).

Special status for families of certain occupations

If your relative holds a residence permit marked 'talent passport', including an 'employee on assignment', 'research scientist' or an EU Blue Card, your family is automatically granted a 'private and family life' residence permit at the same time, for the duration of the spouse’s stay, allowing your family to work without a permit (see the full guide to French work visas and permits). 

The 'passeport talent' visa also includes families of those who have come to France to invest at least EUR 10 million and create at least 50 jobs are also granted a 10-year residence permit for exceptional economic contribution.

Join family members in France

Relatives of French nationals

You can join a family member living in France if you are:

  • married to a French national (the marriage must have been entered into the French Civil Register if you married abroad), and you’re still together.
  • the parent of a French minor child living in France and you have been contributing to his/her support and education for at least a year.
  • the foreign child of French nationals and are under 21 or dependent on your parents.
  • the dependent parent of an adult French national or spouse.

If you're from the EU/EEA, Switzerland, Monaco, San Marino or Algeria, you can apply after you arrive in France; otherwise you’ll need to apply for a long-stay visa from the French embassy/consulate in your home country. You have to show a certified copy of your marriage certificate (the marriage must be registed with the French authorities) and proof of the French nationality of your spouse (e.g copy of a French ID card, birth certificate).

Relatives of asylum seekers

If your relative has been granted refugee status, you can be reunited in France if you are the spouse (married before the refugee status was granted) or an unmarried minor child (up to the age of 19).

When you arrive in France

On arrival in France, you have three months to contact the OFII, who will carry out a medical examination, issue you with a residence permit and may ask you to sign the Contrat d’Accueil et d’Intégration (CAI). This agreement, which aims to 'establish a relationship of trust and mutual obligation' between you and France itself, is valid for one year.

During this time, you are obliged to attend sessions (in your own language) on France’s political and administrative organisations and the values of French society (e.g. secularism, equality), and about everyday life in France. Your language skills will be assessed and you may be asked to take a language course leading to a Diploma of Introduction to French (DILF) or be given a certificate (AMDFL) to exempt you.

You don’t have to sign the CAI if you:

  • are an EU/EEA/Swiss national.
  • have been educated for at least three years in a French secondary educational institution outside of France.
  • are aged 16–18 years and are entitled to a residence permit because you were born in France to foreign parents, are living in France, and if France has been your main residence for at least five years since the age of 11.
  • are joining a relative who holds a certain type of work-related residence permit, for example, those marked ‘employee on assignment’, ‘skills and talents’ or a Blue Card (see Working in France: work permits and visas).
In 2015, due to the massive influx of regugees in France from places like Afghanistan, Syria and Sudan, the French government reformed its asylum application procedure, speeding up and streamlining the process for asylum. For more information on recieveing asylum in France, see the French Ministry of Interior's Guide for Asylum Seekers in France (updated in November 2015).

For more information:

  • DIRECCTE – this is the French language website for the French Labour Ministry Directions régionales des entreprises, de la concurrence, de la consommation, du travail et de l'emploi. Go the main website and you can be redirected to the French region you need.
  • OFII -– this is the English language version of the website for the L'office Francais de l'immigration et de l'intégration, the French agency in charge of migration (click the "EN" in the top right corner for English). There are offices all over France; look on the website for contact details of your nearest one.
  • France Diplomatie – this webpage is the English version of the website for the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs, for more information on visas and migration to France.
  • ARS – this webpage is the French language website for the Agence Régionale de Santé and where you can find your local Direction départementale des affaires sanitaires et sociales (DDASS).
  • Service-Public – this website is for the French government's public services (in French). To find the contact details of your local mairie (town hall) see here, and for other local departments and public services, see here.

Read more:

Click to top of guide to getting a French visa to join a relative or partner in France.



Note: the information in this article is for general information only and you should always seek advice from the French consulate if you have any queries about your particular circumstances.


Have a question? Post your question on Expatica's Ask the Expert service to see if we can help.  



Updated: 2012, 2009, 2017

Comment here on the article, or if you have a suggestion to improve this article, please click here.

If you believe any of the information on this page is incorrect or out-of-date, please let us know. Expatica makes every effort to ensure its articles are as comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date as possible, but we're also grateful for any help! (If you want to contact Expatica for any other reason, please follow the instructions on this website's contact page.)

Captcha Note: Characters are case sensitive
The details you provide on this page will not be used to send any unsolicited e-mail, and will not be sold to a third party. Privacy policy .

12 Comments To This Article

  • Rumesha posted:

    on 3rd April 2017, 17:44:28 - Reply

    I'm Rumesha I'm 21 years old now. I'm a Sri Lankan. My father is a citizen in France and he works in there. He sends 20000 rupees for me monthly but it's not enough to live and my studies. Now I'm married he also a student his name is Danalka he is good in maths. He also don't have job yet. So I wanna study and live in France. Can you help us to get visas to France.

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert free service.]  

  • M posted:

    on 7th October 2016, 19:07:55 - Reply

    My husband has applied for a CCT permit from the prefecture in Valence. He received a receipt for his application and will hopefully get his permit soon. I am currently based in India and would like to join my husband in France as soon as possible. In this website and the embassy website it says that family of Holders of CCT permit get a private and family life permit %u201CAT THE SAME TIME%u201D. Does that mean I, the wife, don%u2019t have to apply separately for this permit?
    Secondly, Someone had suggested that I initiate the %u201Caccompanying family procedure%u201D long stay visa to join my husband in france and upon arrival in France, apply for the permit at the prefecture in Valence. But for initiating this visa, do I have to wait for my husband to receive his permit or can i apply for the accompanying family visa right away?

    Please help! There is virtually no information for family of CCT permit holders and I%u2019ve been running in circles :(

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert free service.]

  • Donna posted:

    on 12th September 2016, 20:44:06 - Reply

    This is exactly my situation, except that I've been with my partner for 2 years. I would love to know more. Help!

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our forums or Ask the Expert service.]

  • Kate posted:

    on 28th March 2016, 07:21:03 - Reply

    My boyfriend is French and lives in France. I am an Australian citizen and I would like to live with him in France. Which visa can I get? We have been together for over 12 months and I have stayed with him for 3 months last year as this was the max time I could without a visa. I am over 30 so I can't apply for the working holiday visa. Is there a defacto equivalent visa which allows me to live and work in France without being married to my partner?

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert free service.]

  • Saulosi posted:

    on 23rd July 2015, 19:56:12 - Reply

    Me too l ask carte sejour through my baby and husband they just give me 3 months mention visiter for 3 times now without Job & its not easy to my husband to pay food and bills because its only him he works it makes me stress this my situation and it can be killed me easly because lam in deep thinking now Why only me ???? Even for give me this recepice it wasnt easy . I cant hold my stress now its too much.
  • Hank posted:

    on 15th May 2013, 06:50:43 - Reply

    MELUN PERFECTURE: What a terribly run office..a disgrace to France's immigration system....people are standing on line at 5am in the morning for a 9am start time. People stand online, outside and cannot get in before they run out of numbers but the people have waited for hours before the announcement. People are saying they are going in for drivers license but in fact go in for Carte de Sejour. I have been there twice last week and got turned away both times before getting inside. I am trying to get my sixth or a 10 years so next week, I will be on line at 6am. This cannot be right. Immigrants come here by choice and are treated like dirt by the people who work there. The inefficiencies of this office need to be looked at. There has to be a better way. Oh, one person will show up at 6am or earlier and at 8:45, some 10 to 15 will show up saying the one guy was holding a spot for them. Try to stop them and you have a confrontation which gets ugly. The inmates are running the asylum.....What a disgrace.
  • Nabanita posted:

    on 19th December 2011, 10:43:42 - Reply

    I have a question: I arrived in France in December 2010 and was holding a carte de séjour with Visteur status. I am the wife of a PhD student, and hence my stay here. Now I have started an MS programme at Grenoble Graduate School of Business, Grenoble, France. I went back to the Prefecture for my visa renewal. I explained my situation, gave then the relevant documents asking for a carte de séjour étudiant, but got one for a Visiteur again. Would any of you have any suggestions for me - how I can get a carte de séjour étudiant?
  • Lucio posted:

    on 22nd August 2011, 13:25:51 - Reply

    Most South-American citizens can come to France without a Visa and stay 3 months. Most North-Americans can come and stay 6 months. The rules are the same for all countries in the European Union.
  • Holly posted:

    on 13th May 2010, 12:22:13 - Reply

    do you think the law is still that after 10 years of renewed tittre de sejours, one has the right to a residency card as stated in the article? As i can't see anyone employing me here in France, and I'm not too sure what the advantage is to obtain a residency card over a carte de sejour, i suppose waiting 4 more years for the process to happen is not such a bad thing.
  • Holly posted:

    on 13th May 2010, 12:16:29 - Reply

    Just saw maryb211's reply. This is the information i was given as well.
  • Holly Poirier posted:

    on 13th May 2010, 12:14:25 - Reply

    According to my prefecture (Vaucluse), I only have the right to apply for a residency card after 5 renewals (i.e. - in my 6th year of having a renewable titre de sejour), not after just 3 years as mentioned in your article. Have the laws changed?
  • maryb211 posted:

    on 29th April 2009, 12:24:56 - Reply

    The article says "At the time of your third carte de séjour renewal you may apply for a 10 year carte de resident," but this is not the case. According to Article L314-8 of the "Code de l'entrée et du séjour des étrangers et du droit d'asile" approved in 2007, you can request the resident card after a minimum of 5 consecutive years in France. More info here:;jsessionid=DC294EBB14B2FC0B9214604AE0BD64B5.tpdjo09v_1?idArticle=LEGIARTI000006335105