Home Living in France Transport A guide to driving in France
Last update on June 07, 2021

Are you planning on driving in France? Get up to speed with everything you need to know with our guide to driving and parking in France.

For drivers in France, here’s a guide to French road rules, importing a car, and whether you need to exchange your foreign driver’s license for a French one. This guide covers some of the main topics relating to driving in France.

An overview on driving in France

If you plan on driving in France, France recognizes driving licenses from a large number of countries. But France has strict road laws and rigorous driving instruction, even if you see driving habits that suggest otherwise. Before you drive in France, it’s important to learn the road rules so you steer clear of trouble.

France made significant strides in improving road safety in past years. This is partly through an increase in speed-trap radars and the use of alcohol testing on roads and inside bars. But while the highways are definitely safer for car drivers, statistics show that teenagers, anyone on two wheels, and pedestrians should take care.

Who can drive in France?

You can drive in France using your foreign driving license for to 12 months. If your license is not from the EU or is in a language other than French, you also need an official translation of your license or an international driving license/permit.

You must be 18 years or older and have a valid driving license to drive a car in France. This means that younger drivers with a license from another country will not be able to drive in France. Minimum ages to drive a scooter or motorbike varies according to the size of the bike; you can drive a moped (cyclomoteur) under 50cc from the age of 14.

If you are only staying in France for up to six months, you can bring your own car into France. If you are staying longer you will have to register the car in France.

Foreign driving licenses in France: who needs a French driver’s license?

If you’re from an EU country or European Economic Area (EEA – EU plus Iceland, Norway, and Lichtenstein), you can use your own driving license to drive in France indefinitely.

Everyone else can use their own license for one year after arrival and then must get a French driver’s license. Depending on your nationality, it may be possible to simply exchange your foreign license for a French license; if your country doesn’t have an agreement with France, you may need to pass a theory or a driving test. See what conditions apply to you in Expatica’s guide to foreign driving licenses in France.

Importing a car from abroad

If you want to bring your own car to France from the EU, you don’t have to pay duty as long as the car is at least six months old, has at least 6,000km on the clock and you’ve already paid VAT on the car in your home country. However, if you want to import a new car you must be able to prove you’ve paid tax in the country of origin and that the car is registered – and may be charged tax in France.

If you want to bring your own car to France from outside the EU, you won’t pay duty so long as the car has belonged to you for at least six months, you have been resident outside the EU for at least 12 months, and all taxes and customs have already been paid in your home country.

In both cases, you’ll need to take the original registration documents and receipt of sale to the Centre des Impots.

Car registration and maintenance in France

If you will only be living in France for up to six months, you can use a car registered in your home country. During this time, you must be in the car as a passenger if the car is driven by anyone else other than family or friends visiting you in France. If you are driving a foreign-registered vehicle, it must have a sticker showing the country of origin.

If you are staying in France long-term, you have 30 days after officially registering your stay to register your car and pay French vehicle registration tax.

To obtain and maintain your car registration (carte grise), your car may first need to be inspected to check that it conforms to French road standards and be given a Certificate de Conformite or Attestation RTI (Reception à Titre Isolé). Go to your nearest DREAL (Directions Régionales de l’Environnement, de l’Aménagement et du Logement) office to organise this.

If the car is more than four years old it will also have to pass a contrôle technique, which is an inspection of roadworthiness. A roadworthiness certificate from your home country will not suffice; your car must pass the French test. There are licensed centers that conduct these. Car owners must renew this every two years or if you sell the car.

Once you have your Certificate de Conformite/Attestation RTI  and the car has passed the contrôle technique (if appropriate), you can apply to your Préfecture or Sous-Préfecture to get your car registration: the Certificat d’immatriculation (previously known as the carte grise or grey card). You’ll also need proof of ID and residency in France, your foreign registration certificate, and customs documentation. Fees vary according to the size of your car’s engine. Once you have been sent your new registration documents you get new French number plates (plaques d’immatriculation) made and fitted.

You must carry the car registration and driver’s license with you when driving. The French police can stop and request your identification and car papers at any time. You also must keep your car papers on your person when you leave the car; if it’s stolen with the registration in the glove box, you may have trouble with your insurance claim. The vignette assurance, proof of insurance, must be displayed on your window shield.

Road and car taxes in France

There is no road tax in France for private vehicles but when you use motorways and some tunnels and bridges you have to pay tolls. Depending on your car, you may be subject to pay an emissions tax.

Road rules in France

French road regulations are similar to those in the rest of Europe, with a few notable exceptions. One includes the infamous priorité à droite, which gives the right of way to motorists joining your forward direction from the right (except if the intersection has a stop sign, traffic light, or solid white line). The exception, of course, are the roundabouts, ronds points, where cars to your left have the right-of-way.

Other road rules include:

  • Drive on the right-hand side of the road.
  • In rural areas, it is very important to be aware of the priorité à droite as it is not uncommon for traffic on minor roads to have the right-of-way when joining main streets and French motorists can be aggressive in protecting their right-of-way.
  • Right turns on a red light are not possible in any circumstances; some intersections, however, will free right-hand turn traffic with a yellow or green blinking arrow. If in doubt, wait for the green light.
  • Traffic signals are usually located on the right-hand side, on the pavement instead of overhead in the middle. Solid white lines demarcating an intersection indicate a stop, even in the absence of a stop sign.
  • You must carry a self-test breathalyzer kit conforming to French safety NF standards.
  • You must carry a reflective triangle and vest in the car in case of breakdowns or other car emergencies.
  • All passengers in a car must wear safety belts, even in the rear seat. Children under the age of 10 must sit in the backseat unless this is impossible, as in a two-seater vehicle. Children must sit in the correct car seat until they are physically big enough to use a regular seat belt.
  • Listening to music on headphones or talking on a mobile phone while driving, even with a hands-free headset, is illegal. The only type of mobile phone that can be used is both hands and head-phone free.
  • Drink-drive limits are strict: 50mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood (half the limit tolerated in the UK). The limit was reduced in July 2015 to 0.02% for novice drivers with less than three years of driving experience.
  • It is illegal to use the car horn in a French city except in case of imminent collision.
  • Don’t eat or drink while you’re driving.

Click here for a list of all the French road signs and what they mean.

General speed limits in France

There are different speed limits for dry and wet weather. Dry weather: urban areas 50km/h; outside urban areas 90km/h; dual carriageways and non-toll motorways 110 km/h; toll motorways 130 km/h. Wet weather: urban areas 50 km/h; outside urban 80km/h; dual carriageways and non-toll motorways 100 km/h and toll motorways 110 km/h. Drivers with less than two year’s experience follow the lower limits. Note: urban speed limits start at the town sign.

As well as fixed speed-trap radars there are many unmarked police cars carrying speed detection cameras in France, even on minor roads.

Carrying a radar-detection device in your car is punishable with a fine and automatic confiscation. If your satnav has this feature, disable the alerts.

On the spot fines or deposits can be heavy and cars can be confiscated for some speeding offenses.

Parking your car in France

City street parking is almost always regulated by parking meters, horodateurs, which are increasingly (and in Paris, totally) operated by a specific credit card, available at most tabacs. Pay spaces are usually, but not always, indicated by the word payant on the street or on a sign.

The French word for parking is stationnement; ‘parking’ in French means ‘car park’. Parking regulations in France vary from place to place, the day of the week and time of day and can be very specific, so make sure you read the parking signs carefully. For example, stationnement alterné semi-mensuel means that parking is allowed on one side of the road for the first half of the month and the other side of the road for the second half. Côté du Stationnement – Jours Pairs/Impairs’ (even/odd) means parking is allowed only on alternate days.

Parking may be forbidden at certain times, for example, for street cleaning, and at all times on red routes (axe rouge), in front of fire hydrants and where you see the sign Stationnement interdit or Stationnement gênant. You can’t usually park for more than 24 hours in the same parking space unless it is specifically long-term parking.

Look for blue zones (zone bleu) – blue markings on the road – which mean you can park free for specified times as long as you display a parking disk (disque de contrôle/stationnement) on your windscreen. You can buy them at tabacs, garages, police stations and some shops.

If you see a parking sign marked horodateur or Stationnement payant, you’ll need to buy a ticket from a nearby machine. Place the ticket face up on the street side of the dashboard so that parking attendants can confirm the timestamp.

In theory, you can only legally park in the direction of traffic for that side of the street, although you may see parked cars headed the wrong direction.

In cities, there may be resident parking permits available or reduced parking on meters within their neighborhood at reduced rates. Check with your town hall, mairie, for details.

You can pre-book parking in Paris online through ParkingsdeParis.

Car rental and car sharing in France

Car rental

You must usually be 18 years old to hire a car in France, although some companies require drivers to be 21 or older and have held a full driving license for at least a year. All the usual car hire companies operate in France. To find a car rental company look under Location voiture in the PagesJaunes (Yellow pages)

Car sharing

You can organize a car share in France through Drivy and BlaBlaCar. Autolib’ is an electric car-sharing service in Paris.

Buying a car in France

Most French people drive French-made cars, and if you’re thinking of buying a car in France you might consider doing the same. In fact, French cars are good quality, relatively cheap to buy, and you can have them services or repaired anywhere in France – most towns have Peugeot-Citroën and Renault dealers.

Road support and car insurance in France

Car insurance

Third-party insurance or Responsabilité Civile – where you are liable for damage or injury you cause to another person – is compulsory in France, even if the car is not being driven on the roads. Your insurer gives you an insurance card and insurance coupon (vignette assurance) which you must display in the bottom, right-hand corner of your windscreen.

For foreigners who don’t yet have a French license, many insurance companies issue you a policy with a non-EU driving license. But beware: if you have an accident and the company verifies later that you were driving with an invalid license, you may be liable for damages.

Breakdown and recovery

You can take out a breakdown/recovery policy to cover you in France. You can’t use your own breakdown organization on a French motorway though. ASFA, the French motorways companies association, operates a 24-hour breakdown service on motorways. Call 112 for the emergency services (there are orange emergency telephones situated approximately every 2km along the route if you don’t have a mobile phone) and the police or the official breakdown/recovery company will tow you to a safe area where you can meet your own breakdown company. Charges for this service are set by the government. 

Traffic reports

Bison Fute has up-to-date information on road conditions around France while the ASFA has real-time traffic information on French motorways.

Tips for driving in France

  • Instead of indicating a road’s number (D-76)  or direction (East, West, etcetera), road signs usually simply point you to the next community on a given route. You will often seen signs indicating a chain of cities leading from the next village through to the next major city or cities; when reading a map, always look for the name of the next major community on your itinerary as well as road numbers. This takes some getting used to but is actually quite logical; you can easily navigate from Marseille to Lille without ever looking at a map.
  • The motorways, indicated by signs with blue backgrounds, are almost exclusively toll-roads. In most cases, you’ll pay by the kilometer; you pick up a ticket before getting on and pay (in cash or debit card) at the péage when you exit.
  • On the highway, the French stay in the right-hand lane except when passing.
  • A turn-indicator light to French drivers is not a request but indicates an immediate maneuver.
  • Drivers should use the right turn-indicator to signal leaving a roundabout.

Useful contacts

  • Service-public: information on driving licenses, vehicle registrations, traffic regulations, and offenses.
  • Route finding services include Mappy and ViaMichelin