How to file your income taxes in Belgium | Expatica
Home Finance Taxes How to file your income taxes in Belgium
Last update on March 03, 2021
Written by Stephen Maunder

Discover how income taxes in Belgium work, including the latest income tax bands for 2021 and how to file your Belgian income tax return.

Discover how income taxes in Belgium work, including which types of earnings you’ll need to declare, the latest tax rates and how to file your income tax return. This guide includes advice on the following:


Finding your way around the many tax codes, exemptions and deductions available can be a challenge for foreigners who need to file in Belgium, especially as most information is only available in French, Dutch or German. To assist you, Taxpatria provides expat-focused financial services, including an updated (unofficial) English version of the tax return.

Income tax in Belgium

The income tax system in Belgium

Workers must pay income tax on money earned through employment in Belgium. Belgium has some of the highest income tax rates in Europe, with earnings over €41,060 taxed at 50%.

The Belgian Ministry of Finance (Service Public Fédéral Finances) oversees income tax in Belgium.

Workers in Belgium have income tax deducted automatically from their salaries but still need to file an annual tax return. Self-employed people are responsible for declaring their income on their tax return.

Income tax contributions do not include social security in Belgium. Workers generally pay 13.07% of their income in social security contributions, while self-employed people pay an average of 22%.

Finance Tower - income tax in Belgium

The Belgian government is increasingly looking to crack down on tax evasion. Data released in 2019 showed that the authorities had authorised audits of 3,600 taxpayers’ bank accounts since 2011.

In 2018, the government imposed sanctions of just over €1bn after investigating 1,600 cases of suspected tax evasion.

Who pays income tax in Belgium?

Your income tax eligibility in Belgium varies depending on whether you’re considered a resident or non-resident for tax purposes.

If you’ve moved to Belgium and the authorities consider your primary home and income to based in the country, they will consider you a tax resident. This means you’ll need to pay income tax in Belgium on your worldwide earnings.

If you are a non-resident, you’ll only need to pay income tax on your Belgian earnings.

Earnings subject to income tax in Belgium

Taxes on income and salary in Belgium

  • Employed income: workers in Belgium pay income tax on their earnings. Income tax rates are charged in four tiers between 25% and 50% system (more on this later).
  • Self-employed income: self-employed workers, freelancers, sole traders and people with a stake in a partnership pay income tax at the same rates as workers. Find out more in our guide to self-employed taxes in Belgium.
  • Business income: company owners must pay corporate tax on their business profits. Corporate tax was reduced from 29% to 25% at the start of 2021.

Taxes on employment benefits

If you are given benefits by your employer (such as health insurance, a company car etc), these may be subject to tax.

In most cases, you’ll pay tax based on the ‘taxable value’ of the benefit – the amount that you’d normally have to spend to obtain the benefit. There are some exceptions, however.

If there are benefits that you use exclusively for work purposes (e.g. IT equipment), you may be able to reduce your taxable burden to nil or be reimbursed by your employer. More substantial benefits (such as company cars) have specific tax calculations based on their value, emissions and the degree to which they’re used for non-work activities.

Taxes on savings and investments

How much tax you’ll pay on saving and investment income depends on your residency status and whether the investment is regulated or unregulated.

For regulated savings accounts, you can make up to €990 a year in interest before paying tax. Non-regulated accounts are subject to tax from the first euro.

Taxes on rental income

Real estate income is subject to income tax (if you own the property as an individual) or corporate tax (if you own the property as a company).

How to file your tax return in Belgium

Income tax deadlines in Belgium

The Belgian tax year runs from 1 January to 31 December, and tax returns must be filed the following summer. This means that in the summer of 2021, you’ll need to file your tax return for 2020. All workers in Belgium must file an annual tax return, even if they have a salaried job with one employer.

Online tax returns

You can file your tax return by post or online. Online filing can be more straightforward, as the forms will come pre-filled with information received from your employer and you’ll be informed if you’ve missed any important fields. It’s also possible to save your progress and return later.

Once you’ve completed one online tax return, you’ll no longer be sent a paper form in the post in subsequent years.

Belgium income tax form

Income tax forms in Belgium

If you choose to file a paper return, you’ll receive this in the post around May or June. The submission deadline varies from year-to-year and can be extended, but this will be stated on the tax return. Those who file online usually benefit from a later deadline, as do non-residents.

If you haven’t received your tax return five weeks before the deadline, you should contact your local tax office, the address of which you can find on your previous tax bill.

Simplified tax returns

Some residents won’t need to fill out a full tax return, and will instead receive a simplified return when they log in to their online tax account.

This will include an estimated calculation of the tax due. Simplified returns are commonly provided to the likes of retirees, those on unemployment allowance or students with limited income.

Income tax rates in Belgium

The Belgian government sets income tax rates on an annual basis. In recent years, they’ve been set based on four distinct bands: 25%, 40%, 45% and 50%.

For the 2020 tax year (for which tax returns must be submitted in 2021), the rates are as follows:

Belgian income tax bandsBelgian tax rate
Up to €13,44025%

These rates apply to earnings within each band. So if you earn €30,000, you’ll pay 25% on the amount up to €13,440 (taking into account your tax-free allowance), 40% on the amount between €13,441 and €23,720 and then 45% on the remainder.

There are a number of online calculators available that allow you to calculate your net earnings. Some options are as follows:

Personal tax allowance and deductions in Belgium

All residents in Belgium have a personal tax allowance, which is updated each year and varies based on how many children you have.

The basic allowance for childless workers is €8,990, so any earnings below this amount won’t be subject to income tax.

Personal allowanceEUR
Basic allowance€8,990
One child€1,630
Two children€4,210
Three children€9,430
Four children€15,250
Every extra child€5,820
Extra allowance per child under 3 years old€610

General tax credits

A range of tax credits are available in Belgium, though the rules vary depending on what you’re claiming for. You can claim tax credits on the following:

  • Charity donations;
  • Capital and interest payments on a mortgage loan;
  • Pension and life insurance contributions;
  • Childcare expenses

Dependent spouse allowance

You can allocate a part of your professional income to your spouse if your spouse’s income does not exceed 30% of your combined professional income. This measure is known as the dependent spouse allowance.

Lump-sum deductions

Employees, as well as company managers, assisting spouses and all self-employed individuals can include a standard business expense deduction in their annual individual tax return.

In 2021, the lump sum business expenses are calculated at a rate of 30%, with a maximum deduction of €4,880.

Using the standard deduction on your tax return is only beneficial if your actual expenses are less than the lump sum or if it is too difficult or impossible for you to prove your expenses. In all other cases, you should try to prove your actual expenses.

Self-employed income tax allowances in Belgium

Self-employed people can deduct their social security contributions and business expenses when filing a tax return. You can deduct expenses on an actual or lump sum basis.

Actual expenses

Any expenses you offset on your tax bill must relate to a professional activity and be declared at their actual cost. While you can deduct most expenses at their full cost, car-related expenses (75%), restaurant bills (69%), and representation costs (50%) are only partly-deductible.

If you want to claim your expenses on an actual cost basis, you’ll need to keep track of all of your expenses incase you’re required to provide evidence when you file your return.

Lump-sum deductions

Self-employed workers are allowed to submit a lump-sum deduction of up to €4,880, as explained above. Those who submit their expenses as a lump sum won’t need to provide evidence such as expense receipts.

Income tax in Belgium for foreigners

Foreign workers in Belgium are subject to the same income tax rules and rates as Belgian nationals, though some can benefit from a special expat tax scheme.

The incentive allows foreign executives, specialist staff or research staff to apply to be considered as non-residents for tax purposes.

This has two major benefits. First of all, it allows the worker to enjoy tax exemptions for things like relocation costs and school fees for their children.

income tax in belgium

Secondly, it means expats only need to pay Belgian income tax on days they’re actually working in Belgium, so those who travel regularly could be significantly better off.

Tax refunds in Belgium

Belgian workers who believe they’ve overpaid can apply for a refund up to three years after paying the tax year in question. The time it takes to investigate and process a refund varies on a case-by-case basis, but it can take six months to a year.

Tax fines in Belgium

Workers who fail to submit their tax return on time risk fines ranging from £50 to £1,250 and a tax surcharge of between 10% and 200%.

The penalties vary depending on how late the return is and the degree to which the worker is deemed to be avoiding paying tax. The highest penalties are handed out to persistent offenders.

Income tax advice in Belgium

If you have a complicated tax situation or need help getting to grips with which allowances and exemptions you can claim, it can make sense to take advice from a professional.

You can find an accountant (expert-comptable or compte fiscal in French, accountant or belastingconsulent in Dutch) through our listings or on website of the Instituut van de Accountants en de Belastingconsulenten (French or Dutch only).

Useful resources