EUR 20 million for victims’ families
15 March 2004
MADRID – Relatives of those who died in the Madrid atrocity are to receive up to EUR 20 million in compensation, authorities said Monday.
The Consortium of Compensation Insurance said each relative would receive at least EUR 50,485.
Those left disabled by the bomb attacks at three rail stations Thursday last, in which 201 people died and more than 1,600 were injured, will receive similar amounts.
The compensation will be awarded because the victims were injured while travelling on trains run by Renfe, the national rail network, which has a legal obligation to pay compensation.
Less would be paid in terms of compensation for those who received ‘material damages’ while travelling on Renfe trains.
To receive compensation, victims would have to show Consortium officials medical certificates showing injuries or disabilities or the settlement of succession tax, which is paid when a person passes on property or assets after their death.
Other documents which proved a relative had been killed or injured would also be admissible.
But officials would have to analyse each case individually to assess how much a person should be paid.
[Copyright EFE with Expatica]
Subject: Spanish news