When you’re moving in the Netherlands, there is a lot to arrange – no matter how close or how far you are going. To make it easier, get some insight into the two ways to move: organizing the move yourself or hiring professionals to take care of it for you.
Handling the move yourself
If you decide to do everything yourself, it is usually the cheapest option. However, there are a few points to take into consideration:
- You are responsible and liable for any damage to property during your move. Your own goods are not insured during transport.
- You will most likely need to rent or borrow a van or a truck, paying for the gasoline, insurance, and for the kilometres driven. Vehicle insurance also involves a deductible.
- You will probably need to ask people to help you carry, load, unload, and reassemble your household items.
- You may need to drive back and forth from your previous residence to your new one several times to transfer all of your belongings. If the new residence is more than an hour away, the move may take several days.
Hiring a professional moving company
A professional moving company will usually cost you more than moving everything yourself, but it is important to be aware of the following benefits:
- A professional mover works faster and more efficiently than you can thanks to years of experience.
- All of your goods are insured against damage and/or loss. The standard insurance is usually up to EUR 100,000, and there is no risk for the client.
- The moving company provides the necessary materials, including packing boxes and protective wraps as well as mobile lifts if needed.
- The mover has a variety of vehicles at their disposal so everything can be moved in one transport from the former residence to the new one.
- Storage can be arranged if requested.
- An experienced, professional mover relieves much of the stress of moving by taking care of nearly everything involved in your move.
How much does it cost to move within the Netherlands?
If you decide to ask for a price quote, the first thing a moving company will do is determine the volume of the goods to be moved. The mover will usually send a surveyor to your home to assess the amount of goods that will be transported, how long it will take to transport the items, and what packing materials are needed. To make an accurate quote, the following points are also taken into consideration:
- Accessibility to the residence
- The type of residence at the loading and unloading addresses
- Necessity of a lift or other equipment
- Which pieces of furniture can be disassembled for transport
- Fragile or special items requiring specific handling and/or packing
Arranging your move in the Netherlands online
The moving industry has not been stagnant – there have been some recent developments in innovative online products to make moving easier. You can now arrange a professional move online whenever it suits you.
Book your move using the online platform Emoov: after providing information about your move, you will get a set price without needing to have a surveyor visit your home.
Regardless of the option you choose, when moving within the Netherlands, you must notify the municipality where you are moving to 30 days or fewer before your moving date or maximum five days afterwards. Find more information about this on the Dutch government’s website.