Football fans arrested for misogynist banner
Three fans of FC Schaffhausen have been arrested for waving a banner calling for violence against female supporters of the opposing team. The security director at the club has also been questioned.
On Friday morning, the police arrested the three men and their homes were searched. Last Sunday, they had waved a banner at a second division match that made violent and sexual threats towards women associated with the opposing Winterthur football team.
On Wednesday, the Swiss Football League announced that the three accused had been banned from all Swiss stadiums for two years. It has also initiated proceedings against FC Schaffhausen. The club responded by denouncing and condemning “more strongly” the mens’ behaviour in Winterthur.
The fans who created the banners have also since apologised on Facebook.
The three suspects, aged between 25 and 37, residing in the cantons of Schaffhausen and Thurgau, are being held for questioning, and it is not yet known when they will be released. The criminal investigation opened against them will continue after their interrogation, according to the Zurich cantonal police.
Later on Friday, it emerged that the security director from FC Schaffhausen was also in custody and being questioned. A club spokesman told public radio, SRF, that they were “convinced it was a mistake.”
The security chief was nowhere near the banner in the stadium, and had also done much to ensure that the incident came to light and was followed up on, the spokesman said.