New delay for South African honeymoon murder trial
The murder trial of slain Swedish honeymoon bride Anni Dewani was postponed on Wednesday, after a suspected hitman who was allegedly hired by her British husband was admitted to hospital.
“Accused number one (Xolile Mngeni) is currently in the hospital section of Pollsmoor prison,” said magistrate Jackie Redelinghuys.
“The matter is then remanded to June 13… a provisional date to get more information regarding the medical state of the accused.”
South African prosecutors are fighting to extradite Anni’s British husband Shrien to face murder charges alongside two South Africans accused in the November shooting death of his wife.
“That is still the plan,” prosecutions spokesman Eric Ntabazilila told AFP.
“The plan is to get him here to join the other two co-accused here in Cape Town.”
Anni Dewani’s body was found in the car that the couple had been travelling in before an alleged hijacking that the driver said was masterminded by Briton.
Dewani, whose extradition hearing in London continues on July 18, denies any involvement in the killing.
Mziwamadoda Qwabe, 25, and Mngeni, 23, will remain in custody until June.
The lawyer for Mngeni said his client was ill and had not been attacked in prison.
Their driver Zola Tongo — a suspect turned state witness — claimed he was paid 1,500 rand ($220, 152 euros) for his role in the killing.
Tongo pleaded guilty in December and is serving an 18-year sentence.