MTN telecom giant says still in talks with Nigerian officials over fine
Telecom giant MTN on Friday insisted negotiations were ongoing with Nigerian authorities to settle a record $3.9 billion fine imposed for failing to disconnect unregistered subscribers.
“MTN Nigeria continues to engage with the Nigerian authorities in an attempt to ensure an amicable resolution to this matter,” the company said in a statement.
The Johannesburg-based company neither confirmed nor denied reports that it has offered to pay $1.5 billion (1.35 billion euros) to settle the penalty.
Africa’s biggest wireless operator was fined $3.9 billion in October after failing to disconnect 5.1 million subscribers amid concerns the lines were being used by Boko Haram insurgents.
According to a letter from the company’s lawyer released in Abuja on Thursday, MTN has made an offer to pay 300 billion naira ($1.5 billion) to settle the fine.
MTN last month paid out $250 million towards the penalty.
Nigeria’s Senate committee on communications met on Thursday to discuss the fine, saying that negotiations with MTN are expected to continue for two more weeks.