Mandela hospital stay ‘not an emergency’, no operation: ANC
Nelson Mandela's hospitalisation on Saturday was a planned check up and the former South African leader would not require surgery, the ruling African National Congress said.
“He had abdominal pains for some time and they decided that he must receive the attention of the specialists so it was not an emergency admission, it was planned,” ANC spokesman Keith Khoza told the private eNews channel.
“It’s a check up, there’s no operation involved.”
After a previous health scare sparked panic last year, officials Saturday moved quickly to reassure the public with Khoza saying “there is nothing to worry about.”
“Medically he’s fine, it’s just to deal with the abdominal pains and that’s it,” said Khoza.
Officials have not revealed where Mandela has been admitted.