Nelson Mandela is recovering at home and has resumed normal life after spending a night in hospital for a minor diagnostic procedure, South African President Jacob Zuma’s office said Monday.
“Following his discharge from hospital yesterday (Sunday), former president Nelson Mandela has resumed his normal day-to-day life,” a statement from the presidency said.
“He is recuperating at home with the support of his family.”
The statement said there would be no further updates on the condition of the 93-year-old statesman who was admitted to hospital on Saturday.
Mandela underwent a diagnostic laparoscopy, a procedure in which doctors probe the abdominal area using a tiny camera, to investigate complaints of persistent abdominal pain.
His previous hospitalisation in January last year sparked public panic and a media frenzy as the government and Mandela’s charitable foundation refused to release information on his condition.
Defence Minister Lindiwe Sisulu, whose ministry is charged with Mandela’s health care, earlier said “there never was anything wrong with him” but that the investigative surgery was needed to get to the bottom of his discomfort.
Messages of support from the public had flooded the presidential hotline as people all over country wished the much-loved South African icon a speedy recovery.