Billag: a beginner's guide to TV licensing in Switzerland | Expatica
Home Living in Switzerland House & Home Billag: a beginner’s guide to TV and radio licensing in Switzerland
Last update on February 11, 2021
Written by Jessica Cartwright

Switzerland has a system of TV and radio licensing that differs from many countries. Learn more about Billag and how you can legally use your TV in Switzerland.

The other day we got a letter in the mail from ‘Billag.’ Just from reading the return address alone my husband asked, “What did you buy now? That must be a bill…’

Funny, because that’s exactly what it was.

Billag is the branding or name that the Swiss government calls its TV and radio license program.

Basically, if you have a TV or radio within your presence you have to pay a licensing fee per month for the service.

Honestly, this blows my mind, so just to dull the blow for any newcomers to Switzerland, here are my own personal Billag FAQs.


Looking for something to watch with the whole family? Disney+ brings together great TV shows and movies in one easy-to-use on-demand subscription service. From Homer Simpson to Han Solo, you'll find all your favorite characters on Disney+. Sign up today and get the popcorn ready!

Q: Is this like…you know, just paying for cable?

A: Um, absolutely not! This is the basic license that you pay to use a TV or radio. Period. On top of cable, if you have it. (Can you live with the four or five stations you get without cable?)

In the information we received, it says that it costs CHF 13.75 per month for radio and CHF 23.84 per month for a television (approximately CHF 450.08 per year). From reading the book Living & Working in Switzerland, I learned that one redeeming feature of this whole license thing is that it covers any and all TVs or electronics with a radio in your possession. Thank goodness.

Have three radios? They’re covered with one license. Have two TVs? Covered. Have a TV at home and one in the country house? Hahahah…oh that’s just too funny… um sorry, let me compose myself and continue…then this covers them both, too.

But on the other hand, even if you do have one of these items and you NEVER use it, you still have to pay; hence some angst on the English Forum.

(One bloke on the forums made a bit of a scene at the Billag office because he thought it was crazy to pay the radio license just for his car radio. So he asked if he would have to pay if he tore it out of the car. To which the Billag customer service rep said, “Oh, ok… well you have a clock radio, yes? Then you still pay…sorry. Ah HAHAHAHHA!”)

Q: What if I don’t want to pay this?

A: Um, well tough nuts. As we understand it, you have to pay it… you can be fined heftily if a Billag inspector comes around and you don’t have this license paid. Actually, if my translation is correct, it’s a CHF 5000 fine. Yes, that’s right, three zeros there.

Also, the Swiss, a meticulous nation, keeps good track of where you live and when you’re home. They’ll come by to listen at your door to what shows you watch and return the very next week to interrupt your favourite shows and charge you! (Not really, but I have read they do show up to do inspections!). So… again, it’s not worth it to try and work the system.

While it hurts me as much as it (may) hurt you, I don’t want them interrupting my Gossip Girl or Ausgezeichnet Alaska (for all you foreigners that’s what they call Northern Exposure here, which I’m into now, having never seen it when it first aired).

So that’s Billag. . . Personally I think it’s a bit weird and should just be part of some other tax that you have to pay that gets secretly rolled into something else.

Getting a VPN in Switzerland

Across the world, an increasing number of expats are using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to ensure their privacy and security online. As well as helping you browse with more anonymity, these VPNs can also help unblock online content. This allows you to access your favorite sites from home and elsewhere, including some streaming platforms. VPNs available in Switzerland include: