Belgian pension system

A guide to Belgian pensions and your entitlements

Comments3 comments

If you live and work in Belgium as an expat, you may be entitled to a Belgian pension if you meet certain conditions.

Learn how to safeguard your retirement in Belgium by finding out if you are entitled to a Belgian pension, as well as how the Belgian pension system works, with this guide from Salvatore Orlando, head of expatriates at BNP Paribas Fortis

BNP Paribas Fortis offers a comprehensive network of specialised branches for expats, with extended opening hours. Their specialist multilingual advisers are happy to answer all your questions whenever it suits you best.

Who is entitled to a pension in Belgium?

To qualify for a Belgian state pension, you must have been employed in Belgium with an employer who paid contributions to the Belgian National Office for Social Security (RSZ). Self-employed workers can also claim a Belgian pension under similar conditions, provided you have paid into the social security scheme in Belgium.

Employees, the self-employed and civil servants all receive their pensions from the National Pension Office (FPD); civil servants previously received their pensions from the Pension Office for the Public Sector, but the two departments merged in April 2016.

Retirement age in Belgium

Currently, payment of a Belgian retirement pension (rustpensioen/pension de retraite) begins when you are 65 years of age and have worked a minimum of 40 years throughout your career. However, the government recently agreed to raise the retirement age to 66 in 2025 and to 67 in 2030 for men and women, and the minimum years worked will increase as well — to at least 42 years by 2019.

Pension in Belgium

Belgium pension calculation: how much will my pension be? 

Your pension is based on how many years you have worked and how much you have earned. The National Pension Office will calculate the amount you will receive based on your average wage over your career, converting past salaries to what they would be worth today. A single person will usually receive 60% of the average wage, and a married person 75%. 

To calculate your approximate pension, use these formulas:

  • Single person or person who is part of a double-income couple: 1/45 x 60% x gross annual wage 
  • Person with a spouse who has no income: 1/45 x 75% x gross annual wage 

Pensioners in Belgium are also entitled to a holiday allowance, which is paid each May. This amounts to a maximum of 923.09 for pensioners who are married and 738.45 for a single person.

Note that if you have any additional professional income while receiving a state pension, your pension may be reduced or stopped.

Supplemental pensions in Belgium 

As living entirely from your state pension is not realistic, there are options for supplemental pensions. One option is an occupational pension scheme, in which company pension plans are administrated via an insurance company. Previously, the law dictated that occupational pension plans guaranteed minimum returns of 3.75% on employee contributions and 3.25% on employer contributions. A new law changed this as of January 2016, and there is no longer a fixed rate. 

Another option is a private pension plan, which you can organise with your bank or insurance company. This kind of pension enables you to take your retirement savings into your hands while still qualifying for a state pension. You can make contributions to your pension plan, growing your savings with interest until you are ready to retire. The contributions can be deducted on your income tax return. 

Pension plans for the self-employed are also available via banks or insurance companies. You can determine how much you contribute and how often, and premiums are tax deductible. 

Early retirement in Belgium 

You qualify for early retirement if you have been made redundant and are entitled to unemployment benefits, or if you are 60 but can prove you have worked a minimum number of years (35) throughout your career based on a collective bargaining agreement.  

In Belgium, the gap between the actual retirement age and the official retirement age is larger than in most other European countries. As of 2013, the average age of effective retirement for men is 59.6; for women, it is 58.7. The government has been trying to close this gap by making changes to tax rates on pensions. Those who retire at 60 are taxed at 20%, which is 3.5% higher than the rate for a 65-year-old. There is even a rate of 10% if you reture at 65 and stay professionally active. 

Survivor’s pension in Belgium

In the case of one spouse passing away, the surviving partner qualifies for survivor’s pension (overlevingspensioen) provided they are at least 45 years old. If they are younger than 45, they can still receive a survivor’s pension if they have a child or are 66% or more disabled. If neither condition is met, a temporary pension is granted, usually up to one year.  

If the deceased had already received a retirement pension, the surviving partner qualifies for 80 percent of that pension. If the deceased had not been receiving a pension, the surviving partner receives 80% of what that pension would have been had the deceased lived to retirement age (but based on their average wage at time of death). 

This type of pension stops when the recipient remarries or starts receiving a pension of his or her own. 

Belgian pensions

Applying for a Belgian pension  

If you live in Belgium, you do not have to apply for your pension. Rather, the National Pension Office will contact you one year before your retirement is set to kick in. If you qualify for a Belgian pension but live in a European Economic Area country, you can download the application and send it to:

Federale Pensioendienst
Bureau voor Internationale Overeenkomsten
Zuidertoren - 1060 Brussel

Belgium has bilateral conventions with regard to pensions in the following countries: Algeria, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Democratic Republic Congo, Croatia, India, Israel, Japan, Macedonia, the Philippines, South Korea, Morocco, San Marino, Tunisia, Turkey, the United States, Uruguay, Yugoslavia. If you reside in any of these countries, you must submit your pension application to whichever institution is responsible for pensions in your current home country. Be sure to mention the bilateral conventions.  

Pensions ombudsman: in case of disputes 

If you have concerns or complaints about the pension process, you can contact the Pension Mediation Service (Ombudsdienst pensioenen / Service de médiation Pensions) at:

Boulevard Simon Bolivar 30 bus 5
1000 Brussels
Tel: +32 (0)2 274 19 80 |  |

Click to the top of our guide on Belgian pensions.


Salvatore Orlando, Head of Expatriates / BNP Paribas Fortis / Expatica

Salvatore Orlando

Comment here on the article, or if you have a suggestion to improve this article, please click here.

If you believe any of the information on this page is incorrect or out-of-date, please let us know. Expatica makes every effort to ensure its articles are as comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date as possible, but we're also grateful for any help! (If you want to contact Expatica for any other reason, please follow the instructions on this website's contact page.)

Captcha Note: Characters are case sensitive
The details you provide on this page will not be used to send any unsolicited e-mail, and will not be sold to a third party. Privacy policy .

3 Comments To This Article

  • Erik posted:

    on 7th November 2018, 16:59:49 - Reply

    I am trying to figure out how my mom can receive a portion of my recently deceased dad's Belgian pension. I read the article above and tried contacting the U.S. social security office in Baltimore to figure out what kind of application she needs and where to get it. However, the people there told me basically nothing and referred me to a SS office near her. Can anyone give me a straight answer on what form I need to get for my mom? Please help! Thank you.

    [Moderator reply: Please try the Belgian Office for Social Security: as mentioned in the article - good luck!]

  • Davidiam posted:

    on 5th October 2018, 08:20:49 - Reply

    As an American living in Belgium and with a pension plan from my employer, I am wondering what the requirements are as far as FATCA and taxation of the lump sum are concerned. Is there someone who can explain this or a low cost advice service for Americans living in Belgium? Most that I have seen request close to 300 euros per hour which is too much for me.

    [Moderator reply: Please visit our tax advisor listings page to obtain different quotes for advice:] 

  • Peter posted:

    on 14th September 2016, 14:27:52 - Reply

    How does the bilateral convention work, especially with regard to Australia where the pension system is completely different to Belgium ?

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert free service.]