Tavira prepares itself for influx of flash floods
In the coming days, Tavira is predicted to see some of the highest tides of the whole year, with the potential of causing floods.
According to the Hydrographic Institute website, the will highest rise in the tide will be on the 29th of September.
In this sense, the Tavira Municipal Civil Protection Service (SMPC) has advised local businesses and residents in the downtown area to adopt some preventive measures, namely:
– Remove equipment and articles that may be damaged from the ground by placing them higher up;
– Do not walk in flooded areas in order to prevent the entrapment of people in pavement holes or open sewage manholes;
– Avoid parking vehicles in the downtown area;
– Pay attention when driving vehicles, particularly on roads that may be affected;
– Respect roadblocks and road signs;
-Be aware of the danger of riverside walks;
– Be aware of weather information and indications made by the Civil Protection and Security Forces. The measures of the authorities must be respected by all in order to nullify or minimize dangerous situations.
If a dangerous situation arises, the SMPC has told the public to contact 112 immediately.