Home News London police investigate shooting of 24-year-old Portuguese man

London police investigate shooting of 24-year-old Portuguese man

Published on 13/09/2019

London police have issued a new public appeal for information on regarding the murder of a 24-year-old Portuguese man last weekend. The young man was killed by gunshots shot from a motorcycle.

Metropolitan Police identified the victim as Wilson Alexandre Garcia Varela, who lived in the Forest Gate, but was killed in the Camden Town neighbourhood near the centre of the British capital.

“Although our investigation is proceeding at a rapid pace, the reason for this shooting remains uncertain. It is difficult to see what might have led to the murder and we need someone to give us information on why it happened,” said Chief Inspector Simon Stancombe.

So far no arrests have been made and police investigations are continuing regarding a motorcycle that was reportedly circulating and waiting around for some time nearby.

Video footage shows the motorcycle, with two suspects on it, circulating in the area where the Portuguese man was found, and then them firing at point blank range in the direction of the man.

Stancombe said he wanted to know why Wilson Varela was targeted by the shooters and wonders if he really was meant to be the target of the crime.

London police said they had received news of the shooting at Malden Road shortly before midnight, and revealed that they had found the man injured, but he was pronounced dead shortly after, at 12.10 am.

In addition to regular police officer, armed police and a medical helicopter were called to the scene. An autopsy on Tuesday concluded that the cause of death was a gunshot to the chest.

A spokesman for Wilson’s family, quoted in a police statement, recalled him as “an inspiration.” “You will always be a living legend to us all, your spirit will guide us forever and ever as you used to. Thank you for being an inspiration to so many people,” the statement expressed.

The murder of Wilson Varela happened the same night and a few meters from another crime on a nearby street, Belmont Street, which left a 22-year-old woman single mother dead after being stabbed. A 26-year-old woman remains in detention and a 35-year-old woman has been released in the meantime, but this incident is still under investigation.