Chlorine spill causes 12 injuries in Albufeira hotel
Twelve people were seriously injured following the spillage of 50 litters of sodium hypochlorite (chlorine) in the early afternoon of Thursday the 10th of October at the Falésia-Mar hotel in Albufeira.
A Faro District Relief Operations Command (CDOS) source revealed that five people were transferred to the Albufeira Health Centre.
Three others were sent to Faro Hospital. The other seven people were assisted on-site by medical personnel.
Among the injured were workers as well as tourists.
The people who were affected were injured by the inhalation of the chemical gases released by this substance, which is widely used in the treatment of pool water.
On-site were 18 personnel, from the Albufeira Firefighters, the INEM and the GNR, supported by nine vehicles.