Klitschko rejects drug abuse speculation
14 April 2004
LOS ANGELES – Ukrainian boxer Vladimir Klitschko has dismissed drug abuse speculation while waiting for the weekend for results of blood tests taken after his world heavyweight title bout defeat against unheralded American Lamon Brewster.
Klitschko said that doping was not the reason for his lack of energy before he was knocked out on the fifth round on Saturday in Las Vegas.
“I have never used forbidden substances such as steroids.
“I have a Ph.D. in sports science. I know the effect of every susbtance. It would be foolish if I had taken anything,” Klitschko told Deutsche Presse-Agentur dpa, on Tuesday.
However, Klitschko also admitted that the video footage gave the impression “as if I had been on drugs”.
“I couldn’t breath after the first round, after the second round I could hardly get up from my stool. I couldn’t speak properly and couldn’t open my eyes properly,” said Klitschko.
While the complete test results are not yet available, it has been revealed that Vladimir’s blood sugar level was double and not four times above the normal level as initially announced.
“I don’t want to comment on that. I need to see the complete analysis before drawing any conclusions,” said Klitschko.
Klitschko also reiterated that he won’t retire after his second straight defeat and that he will continue working with Emanuel Stewart, who coached him against Brewster for the first time.
Subject: German news