BRUSSELS – A 17-year-old boy died in the early hours on Wednesday as the result of stab wounds he incurred while celebrating carnival in Binche. The perpetrators managed to get lost in the crowd.
The victim headed towards Binche station with two or three friends at about 11.00 p.m. on Tuesday. They encountered another group of youths on the Rue Louis Buisseret and a fight ensued.
The attackers fled when the 17-year-old collapsed after having been stabbed one or more times. They disappeared into the crowd of people celebrating and managed to escape. When the paramedics arrived the victim was still alive but bleeding heavily. He died about two hours after arriving at hospital.
The boy’s friends are in shock and have not been able to provide any useful information so far. Neither the attackers nor the weapon can be found.
The police chief said that there were enough officers keeping an eye on the crowds. Fifty police were on duty at the time of the incident. The chief said this was the first deadly incident that had ever taken place at the carnival in Binche.
A second young man was also attacked near the station on Tuesday evening. He too was stabbed a number of times but his life is not in danger. The two people presumed responsible were arrested. Police say there is no connection between the two incidents.
[Copyright Expatica News 2007]
Subject: Belgian news