Expatica news

Man dies in house fire

5 June 2007

OUDENAARDE – A 40-year-old man died in a house fire in Oudenaarde on Monday night. His wife and two children managed to escape the burning building, the fire brigade in Oudenaarde reports.

The fire broke out at about 1.30 am in the home on the Aalststraat. The man apparently wanted to deep fry something to eat. He fell asleep in a chair in the living room however. The deep fat fryer overheated and caused heavy smoke.

The man suffocated because of the smoke. The fire brigade was able to get him out of the house but emergency services were unable to resuscitate him. His wife woke up because of the heat in the house. She managed to escape with the two children.

The authorities in Oudenaarde have appointed an expert to investigate the exact circumstances of the fire.

[Copyright Expatica News 2007]

Subject: Belgian news