French PM: Belgian jihadist cell ‘proof of very high threats to France’
French Prime Minister Manuel Valls said on Sunday information that a Belgian jihadist cell planned another attack against France was evidence of the elevated threat to the country.
“It’s extra proof of the very high threats to the whole of Europe and to France in particular,” he said during a press conference in the Algerian capital.
“We will not let our guard down,” he added.
Belgium’s federal prosecutor said earlier Sunday that the Islamic State group jihadists behind last year’s Paris attacks had planned to strike again in France but targeted the Belgian capital instead as police closed in.
Suicide bombers claimed 32 lives when they blew themselves up at Brussels airport and at a metro station on March 22, and left a trail for police that led directly to the November Paris attacks which killed 130 people.
“This means that the threat still exists and that we must be mobilised,” Valls said.
“Ongoing investigations, taking place in perfect coordination… with the French judiciary, will allow us to know more,” he added.
“At this stage, it is not necessary to engage in any further speculation.”