Fourniret victim to beburied on Saturday
22 July 2004
BRUSSELS – Elisabeth Brichet, the Belgian girl suspected French serial killer Michel Fourniret has confessed to murdering, will be buried on Saturday.
The body of the 12-year-old will be returned to Belgium on Thursday after forensic experts in the French city of Bordeaux were able to identify her remains.
More than 14 years after the disappearance of their daughter, Marie-Noelle Bouzet and Francis Brichet will finally be able to put her to rest.
The funeral is scheduled for Saturday afternoon at 3pm in the Saint-Loup de Saint-Servais in Namur.
The ceremony will be open to the public but followed by a strictly private family burial. The service will be led by Gaston Schoonbroodt, the priest who presided over the memorial for Marc Dutroux victims Julie Lejeune and Melissa Russo.
Fourniret has admitted abducting Elisabeth Brichet on 20 December 1989 in Saint-Servais.
Her body was found at the Sautou chateau in the French Ardennes on 3 July this year, following a confession from Fourniret’s estranged wife Monique Olivier.
The body of Jeanne-Marie Desramault, another of Fourniret’s victims, was discovered alongside Elisabeth.
The 22-year-old woman, who was also abducted and murdered in 1989, was buried last Friday in Bethune, Pas-de-Calais.
Meanwhile, Belgian investigators have failed to find the body of another young girl also allegedly murdered by Fourniret.
The police have been digging in two places on the basis of further evidence from Olivier.
She said Fourniret had murdered and buried an unidentified au pair girl and buried her in the overgrown garden at the couple’s house in the Belgian town of Sart-Custinne.
After digging in the two spots indicated and draining an ornamental lake, the police left empty-handed.
“We raked the earth in five-centimetre layers down to three metres, but there was nothing and there never has been anything in the places we were told to look,” said Thierry Wouters of the victims identification unit of the Belgian police.
Fourniret has denied the accusation that he raped and killed the girl although he has so far confessed to nine murders in France and Belgium.
Olivier described the girl as a blonde French-speaker, whom the couple hired in 1993 to look after their six-year-old son.
The girl was reportedly seen by neighbours for weeks but then disappeared.
Nobody has so far come forward to identify her.
French police want to question Fourniret in connection with around 30 other unsolved murders and disappearances.
[Copyright Expatica 2004]
Subject: Belgian News