Fourniret may escape Belgian murder trial
2 December 2004
BRUSSELS – Serial killer Michel Fourniret could be tried for the murder of Belgian 12-year-old Elisabeth Brichet by a French court.
Namur’s attorney general, Cedric Visart de Bocarme, said no decision had been taken, but there was a possibility that a French jury and judge would deal with the Belgian charges against Fourniret.
The 62-year-old French former carpenter has confessed to eight murders, most on his home soil. In Belgium, he is charged with kidnapping, raping and murdering Namur girl Brichet in 1989 and with attempting to kidnap a 14-year-old from Ciney in 2003.
On Tuesday, French investigators said they would be ready to try Fourniret within 18 months. “Since the French authorities will be ready in 18 months, within quite a short time, we could envisage having him tried for the Belgian cases at the same time,” said Visart de Bocarme.
[Copyright Expatica 2004]
Subject: Belgian news