Expatica news

Club Brugge consolidate lead

Club Brugge have extended their lead at the top of the Belgian First Division to three points after a 2-0 home victory against KV Mechelen. It was the Belgian international striker François Sterchele (photo) that scored both Club’s goals.
Standard dropped valuable points in the title race, only managing a goalless draw at home against Roeselare.

Cercle Brugge is now just one point behind Standard after an impressive 4-2 win away at Dender.

 Dender took an early lead through Steve Barbé (photo), only for Cercle to draw level on the stroke of half time with a goal by Vusumuzi Prince Nyoni.

Cercle went 2-1 up four minutes into the second half through Kristof Snelders and extended their lead on 75 minutes through Sergiy Serebrennikov.

Henri Munyaneza pulled one back for Dender on 78 minutes.

However, it was too little, too late and Stijn De Smet’s 89th minute goal sealed Dender’s fate.

Two in a row for Mons

RAEC Mons made it two straight wins under their new coach Albert Cartier.

A first half goal by Brahami and a 48th minute goal by Duarte proved enough to ensure at 2-1 victory away at Sporting Lokeren.

Lokeren’s goal came from Carevic on 55 minutes.

Mouscron’s run of poor form continued.

Enzo Scifo’s men lost 2-1 at home against Westerlo.

Westerlo’s goals came from Stef Wils on 20 minutes and Jef Delen on 30 minutes.

Zvonimir Deranja pulled one back for Mouscron on the hour.

Sint-Truiden earned a valuable point in their struggle against relegation with a one-all draw away at Sporting Charleroi.

The canaries took the lead on 5 minutes through Peter Delorge only for Tim Smolders to bring Charleroi level on 28 minutes.

Anderlecht wins Brussels derby

Sporting Anderlecht took all three points in the Brussels derby after beating FC Brussels 4-2 at the Edmond Machtens Stadium in Molenbeek.

Anderlecht took the lead on just two minutes through a Jelle Van Damme free kick.

FC Brussels didn’t loose heart though and kept pushing forward.

New boys Olof Guterstam and Valeri Sorokin looked particularly impressive for Brussels.

However, Anderlecht extended their lead on 26 minutes through Guillaume Gillet.

Many Brussels fans had already resigned themselves to yet another defeat at the hands of the old enemy when Olof Guterstam scored an excellent goal to make it 2-1 on the stroke of half-time.

Brussels started the second half well but hopes of drawing level took a serious blow on 49 minutes when Gillet scored his second goal of the night to make it 3-1 to Anderlecht.

Once again FC Brussels’ paid for laughably poor defending.

Marcin Wasilewski made it 4-1 to Anderlecht on 60 minutes.

It was the first time this season that Anderlecht has managed to score four times in a league match.

The final goal of the evening came from the FC Brussels substitute Christian Landu Tubi on 82 minutes.

Anderlecht enjoyed their second consecutive victory, while FC Brussels’ relegation worries worsen.