Dutch news in Brief – 22 April
Beckham 'lover' threatened with death
Dutch woman Rebecca Loos claims she has received a death threat following her highly-publicised television interview in which she talked about her alleged affair with married soccer star David Beckham. Newspaper De Telegraaf reported a claim by Loos that she received a “very terrifying phone call” the day after her kiss-and-tell interview was broadcast by Sky Television. She said the anonymous caller warned her there was a price on her head. The Real Madrid star, David Beckham, who is married to former pop star, Victoria Beckham, or Posh Spice, denies sleeping with his former personal assistant, Loos.
25pc of companies have no smoke-free area
More than a quarter of firms in the Netherlands have not implemented measures to ensure workers are protected from cigarette smoke, according to a report compiled by union confederation FNV. RTL News said Thursday that despite new regulations which came into force at the beginning of the year, many workers — cleaners and maintenance staff in particular — still work in a smoky environment. But the FNV also criticised over zealous employers who force smokers to stand outside in the cold and smoking inside the firm’s building often leads to sanctions against smokers, which in turn leads to conflicts in the workplace, the FNV said.
Princes to stand witness for brother’s wedding
Crown Prince Willem-Alexander and Prince Constantijn are to act as some of the official witnesses at the wedding of their brother Johan Friso and Mabel Wisse Smit on Saturday. Mabel’s sisters Eveline and Nicoline will act as two of her five witnesses. The marriage has been surrounded by controversy as Mabel withheld from Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende the full extent of a previous friendship she had with murdered drug baron Klaas Bruinsma. As a result, the prime minister decided not to seek parliamentary approval for the wedding. In its absence, Johan Friso will lose his right to the throne, but will retain the title of prince.
Pieper attacker withdraws appeal
The 43-year-old man convicted of the stabbing attack against former Philips director Roel Pieper and his wife Ricka has decided against appealing. It had been reported on Tuesday that he had appealed against the sentence — handed down on 7 April — of TBS detention with compulsory psychiatric treatment. But the man’s lawyer confirmed on Thursday the appeal has been withdrawn, but did not give a reason. Culprit P. T. attacked the Piepers in May 2003, but both of them survived the attack.
SMS-ing for a tax form
Young people who take a job during the vacation can apply via SMS for a form to claim tax back, it was announced Thursday. The Tj-form can be requested by sending a mobile phone message with the text “bijbaan” (roughly translated as sideline job), plus their name and address to the tax office. The form will then be sent to them.
[Copyright Expatica News 2004]
Subject: Dutch news