Annan staying in contact with Syria: UN spokesman
UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan remains in contact with Syrian authorities, a spokesman for his office said Thursday, on the eve of a scheduled videoconference from Geneva with the Security Council.
Annan was to hold the videoconference with the UN in New York as part of a “closed briefing” of the Security Council, spokesman Ahmad Fawzi told AFP.
He said that Annan will report his “assessment on the situation today” and details of his talks with the government in Damascus.
“Mr Annan is still in contact with the Syrian authorities – the dialogue continues,” Fawzi said, without elaborating.
The former UN secretary general, now a special envoy, visited Syria last weekend and received a response from Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on a proposed settlement plan for the Syrian crisis, but he said “issues” remained.
Annan had said his talks in Damascus were centred on the need for an immediate halt to the violence and killings, as well as access to humanitarian organisations and further dialogue.
The Security Council last year failed to agree on resolutions condemning the year-long repression in Syria in which more than 8,000 people have been killed, according to the UN.
Two draft resolutions were blocked by Russia and China, two permanent members of the Security Council with veto powers.