Expatica countries
Index Last Var.(%)
BEL 20 3083.51 0.32
DAX 9605.08 0.17
IBEX 30 10058.5 -1.04
CAC 40 4387.61 -0.20
FTSE 100 6806.86 -0.05
AEX 397.5 -0.20
DJIA 16272.65 0.46
Nasdaq 4318.933 0.63
FTSE MIB 20298.33 -0.11
TSX Composite 14214.35 0.18
ASX 5415.4 -0.10
Hang seng 22836.96 0.04
Straits Times 3110.78 0.45
ISEQ 20 836.3 0.23
EUR / USD 1.37976 0.67
EUR / GBP 0.82571 0.59
USD / GBP 0.598544 -0.10
Gold 1329.6 -0.13
Oil 108.9 -0.76
Silver 21.28 0.08
You are here: Home News German News Slovakian PM sets ultimatum for GDF Suez, E.ON on gas...
Enlarge font Decrease font Text size

16/10/2012Slovakian PM sets ultimatum for GDF Suez, E.ON on gas price hike

Slovakia's left wing Prime Minister Robert Fico on Tuesday threatened to block the sale of a minority share in Slovakia's SPP gas supplier, owned by France's GDF Suez and Germany's E.ON Ruhrgas, if the two firms pushed ahead with a proposed gas price hike.

"Before 10 am (0800 GMT) Wednesday I want written confirmation from the companies that they are dropping the proposals. Otherwise the government will not give its green light ... for the sale of their shares," Fico told reporters in Bratislava.

"If they want to do business with the Czech company, they must send us this declaration," he said.

Since 2002, GDF Suez and E.ON Ruhrgas have controlled 49 percent of SPP, the main supplier of natural gas in Slovakia, and also run it. The remaining 51 percent of SPP's equity is state-controlled.

Both GDF and E.ON are currently in talks with the Czech Energy and Industrial Holding (EPH) on the sale of their SPP share. Bratislava must approve the deal for it to go through.

The SPP board wants to raise household gas prices by up to 25.4 percent in 2013. SPP spokesman Peter Bednar said the "price regulation proposal for next year is legal."

Fico told reporters: "The government sees absolutely no reason why the German and French shareholders are proposing higher gas prices that would be incredibly high for households.

"We cannot respect the arrogant and rogue behaviour of the German and French shareholders," he added.

Fico heads Slovakia's social democratic party Smer-SD and is a harsh critic of privatisation.

© 2012 AFP

0 reactions to this article

0 reactions to this article

Discussion Forums

Healthcare in Germany

Dutch or German Healthcare ?

Community Noticeboard Germany

English Comedy in Berlin

Personal Finance in Germany

Monday's Currency Update

Personal Finance in Germany

Weekly currench crunch

Personal Finance in Germany

Expatica End of Week Currency Roundup

participate in the forums

Inside Expatica
The ABCs of the German school system

The ABCs of the German school system

What you need to know about German schools and daycare.

German immigration and residency regulations

German immigration and residency regulations

Want to move to Germany but haven’t figured out the details? Check out Expatica’s overview of the German permit system.

Driving in Berlin: Rules, habits and fines

Driving in Berlin: Rules, habits and fines

In part one of our two part series, we cover the driving culture in Berlin, where to park and buy gas and, most importantly, the laws.

Looking for work in Germany: The in depth version

Looking for work in Germany: The in depth version

Our comprehensive guide includes information on how to find work, recruitment agencies, employment contracts and labour law.

0news 1local_news 2slovakian-pm-sets-ultimatum-for-gdf-suez-eon-on-gas-price-hike_247406