- Expatica countries
Index Last Var.(%) BEL 20 3083.51 0.32 DAX 9605.08 0.17 IBEX 30 10058.5 -1.04 CAC 40 4387.61 -0.20 FTSE 100 6806.86 -0.05 AEX 397.5 -0.20 DJIA 16272.65 0.46 Nasdaq 4318.933 0.63 FTSE MIB 20298.33 -0.11 TSX Composite 14214.35 0.18 ASX 5415.4 -0.10 Hang seng 22836.96 0.04 Straits Times 3110.78 0.45 ISEQ 20 836.3 0.23 EUR / USD 1.37976 0.67 EUR / GBP 0.82571 0.59 USD / GBP 0.598544 -0.10 Gold 1329.6 -0.13 Oil 108.9 -0.76 Silver 21.28 0.08
12/01/2013Foreign hostages held in Somalia
A French secret agent under the alias of Denis Allex remains hostage in Somalia after a military operation on Saturday failed to free him. Of the several foreigners known to be held captive in the war-torn country, the Frenchman has been held hostage the longest. Below are details of the other kidnappings.
- April 1, 2008: British aid worker Murray Watson and a Kenyan colleague are abducted by armed men in southern Somalia. There have been no recent reports of their whereabouts.
- July 14, 2009: Allex, an agent for the DGSE foreign intelligence service, is seized from his Mogadishu hotel by Islamist militants.
A second French agent captured at the same time. Marc Aubriere, resurfaces in Mogadishu in late August, claiming he had managed to escape.
The French government believe Allex was killed by his captors from the Shebab group during the January 12 but the Al Qaeda-linked movement said the hostage was still alive. The Islamist fighters also claimed they had captured a member of the commando team.
- October 13, 2011: Blanca Thiebaut and Montserrat Serra, Spanish aid workers for Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF, Doctors Without Borders), are kidnapped from eastern Kenya's Dadaab refugee camp and taken to Somalia.
On March 5 the Spanish foreign ministry said the two are still alive and in good health. They are reportedly being held in southern Somalia.
- January 21, 2012: An armed gang abducts an American writer in central Somalia. Ecoterra, an environmental and rights group monitoring regional maritime activity, says the writer is being held along with two other hostages, an Israeli and a Seychellois.
Pirates also hold hundreds of sailors, whose plight goes largely unnoticed, awaiting payments of ransoms for them and their vessels. On December 31, 2012, pirates held eight ships and between 108 and 139 crew members, according to EU maritime agencies.
Hostages that were freed in 2012:
- January 25, 2012: US special forces rescue an American, Jessica Buchanan, and Poul Thisted, a Dane, who worked for the Danish Refugee Council and were being held by a pirate gang, in a pre-dawn raid.
- March 21, 2012: British hostage Judith Tebbutt is released, more than six months after she was abducted from an isolated Kenyan resort by kidnappers who killed her husband.
- June 21, 2012: South African couple Bruno Pelizzari and Deborah Calitz are freed after being kidnapped from a yacht in October 2010 near the Gulf of Aden.
© 2013 AFP
- Most Popular Articles
Meet the most eligible internationals in France at Expatica Date!
Stay up to date with the news, without having to speak the local language.
- Discussion Forums
- Inside Expatica
This handy guide from Expertise in Labour Mobility includes information on business hierarchy, negotiations, and etiquette.
A listing of organizations in the Paris area that cater primarily to Americans living in France. Updated April 2011.
Our handy guide to the British community in Paris, from cricket clubs to Scottish country dancing lessons to where to find a jar of Marmite.
Here's a short introduction to our Banking section for those living in France, from how to open a bank account to Islamic banking and investments.