Police try to identify bodies in British motorway smash

6th November 2011, Comments 0 comments

Detectives were working Sunday to formally indentify the seven bodies recovered from one of Britain's worst-ever motorway pile-ups in which a huge fireball burnt vehicles to the ground.

Police said no more bodies were found overnight as they forensically removed all 34 vehicles involved from the M5 motorway near Taunton in southwest England.

The huge crash happened at 8:25pm (2025 GMT) Friday in wet and foggy conditions. Besides the seven people killed, 51 others were injured.

Emergency crews spent the night scouring burnt-out vehicles, combing through the charred metal littering the northbound triple carriageway on the principal route through the southwest.

The crash sparked explosions and an inferno, reducing vehicles to twisted, fire-blackened shells.

"Overnight all the vehicles involved in this tragic incident have been removed from the scene," said incident commander Assistant Chief Constable Anthony Bangham of the Avon and Somerset Constabulary.

"Our worst fears have not been realised and the number of those that sadly lost their lives remains at seven.

"Extensive work has been carried out to identify those people and families are being appointed family liaison officers to support them. Formal identification has not taken place -- this will happen in the coming days.

"We are now working with our partners to carry out the required work on the carriageway and open the road as soon as it is safe to do so. We thank everyone for their support and patience at this extremely difficult time."

Footage taken minutes after the crash showed motorists risking their own lives amid the flames to prise open vehicle doors and rescue people trapped inside.

Witnesses described hellish scenes, with multiple explosions and towering flames sending a pall of acrid smoke into the night sky.

"We could hear people screaming in their cars. It was utter carnage," said motorist Thomas Hamell, 25, who narrowly avoided the chaos as he came to an abrupt halt next to a jack-knifed truck at the edge of the crash site.

"We sat there and heard the thud of cars, one after another, hitting each other and thought we would be next."

Casualties were taken to two nearby hospitals. Their injuries ranged from simple limb fractures to more complex chest and abdominal trauma.

Edmund King, president of the Automobile Association, said it was Britain's worst traffic accident in two decades, the last comparable incident being a 51-car crash on the M4 motorway in March 1991 in which 10 people died.

Bev Davis, who saw the pile-up from her home close to the motorway, said: "All we could hear was the sound of a horn and then the flames got so high so quickly and the noise was horrific."

But tales of bravery also emerged amid the horror. Hamell said that he had managed to carry a baby to safety as chaos raged around him.

The teacher described how he and his two travelling companions managed to get safely out of their car at the edge of the accident and help a mother and her young baby, whose car was severely damaged in the smash.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article