London bombers 'posed as A-Team characters' in texts

18th October 2010, Comments 0 comments

Two suicide bombers involved in the 2005 London bombings posed as characters from 1980s cult TV show "The A-Team" in jokey text messages in the days before the attacks, it was revealed Monday.

In a series of bizarre exchanges made public by the inquest into the 52 people killed on July 7, 2005, two of the four bombers, Mohammed Sidique Khan, 30, and Jermaine Lindsay, 19, pretended to be Face and B.A. Baracus.

They also referred to A-Team character Murdock and used B.A.'s catchphrases "fool" and "I ain't getting on no plane", which was likely used as a reference to the plotters carrying out their plans.

At 2:23 pm on July 4, Khan -- the ringleader of the plot -- texted Lindsay: "Face you mutha fucker il rearange ya face if ya stab me wiv dat needle cos i said i aint getting on no plain fool."

The line -- "I'll rearrange your face if you stab me with that needle" -- is a reference to B.A.'s fear of flying, which prompted other members of the gang of former US soldiers to inject him with drugs to get him on board a plane.

Lindsay took offence at Khan's message because he felt the part of B.A. was his, and replied five minutes later: "Fuck u bitch, dats my line, il stab u wid a fucking needle jus 4 da fun of it. And 2hear u scream like a blatch!!!

"Now lets get dis right. I aint getting on no plain! fool!"

Just before 1:00 am on July 6, the day before the bombings, Khan sent Lindsay the text message: "Yo BA big nackers you on dat plane or wat. fool."

At 1:55 am, Lindsay replied: "I ain't getting on no plane fool".

Lindsay sent Khan another similar message at 5:15 am which read: "I aint getting on no plane! Murdock tel dis fool".

The text messages were recovered from Lindsay's phone, which was found in the wreckage of the bomb he set off on the London underground between King's Cross and Russell Square, where 26 of the victims died.

The judge leading the inquest into their deaths initially banned their publication but lifted the restrictions after the media protested.

The investigation began last week and is expected to last five months.

© 2010 AFP

0 Comments To This Article