Iraqi held with Baha Mousa tells of British troops' torture

13th September 2011, Comments 0 comments

An Iraqi man detained along with Baha Mousa, a civilian who died in British army custody in Basra in 2003, said Tuesday the abuse they suffered at the hands of soldiers still gives him nightmares.

Radif Taher Muslim was one of 10 Iraqis whose abuse in British detention six months after the US-led invasion was detailed in a major report last week, which found 26-year-old Mousa died after suffering "serious gratuitous violence".

Lawyers for Mousa's family are now urging British prosecutors to take action to bring those responsible to justice.

Although seven soldiers were originally charged over the abuse, only one, Donald Payne, was found guilty of inhumanely treating civilians.

Radif Taher Muslim told a press conference in London: "We were tortured for three days. We were put in stress positions without any rest, we were hooded and beaten.

"We were deprived of food and water, and it was very hot at the time."

He added: "As a result of this day, I still suffer from flashbacks, nightmares and psychological issues. To date I am still suffering psychologically.

"I also would like to see those responsible brought to justice."

Baha Mousa's father, Iraqi police colonel Daoud Mousa, also attended the press conference and backed calls for Britain to bring more prosecutions over the abuse and the death of his son.

"I see justice in this report. I also want to see those responsible for these actions brought to justice," he said.

The Mousa family's British lawyer, Phil Shiner, said he had written to prosecutors to demand that more charges be brought, including for war crimes.

"Justice for Baha Mousa and his family obviously requires that the large number of soldiers and others in command who are responsible for Baha Mousa's death are held criminally responsible," Shiner said.

The three-year inquiry into the abuse, led by retired judge William Gage, said numerous soldiers were involved and accused the Ministry of Defence of a "corporate failure" to prevent it taking place.

Mousa, a hotel receptionist, died 36 hours after he was arrested after sustaining 93 separate injuries, including fractured ribs and a broken nose.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article