UK driver's licence

Exchanging your driver’s licence in the UK

Comments19 comments

To legally drive in the UK you may need to exchange your driver’s licence for a UK driver's licence.

Moving to the UK and changing your driver’s licence is relatively easy for citizens of most countries and you should be able to drive in the country with minimum fuss.

Foreigners moving to Great Britain or Northern Ireland are permitted to drive using their existing licence if it has been issued from countries within the European Economic Area (EEA) (EU plus Iceland, Norway or Lichtenstein) or a number of other countries that have reciprocal arrangements with the UK. For expats arriving from other nations, drivers will be required to take a test before being permitted to drive on the roads.

To find out if you are permitted to drive in Britain and Northern Ireland on your existing licence, a list of countries within the EU can be found at The list of countries with which Britain has reciprocal agreements includes: Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe.

Alternatively, you can run through the British government’s step-by-step questions to learn if you are required to exchange your licence. Click on to find out more. There are slight differences in the laws governing licences in Northern Ireland and further information on exchanging your licence in this part of the UK can be found at If you require further help, the Citizens Advice Bureau offer assistance both online and in their local offices in towns and cities throughout Britain.

For extensive information on exchanging your driver’s licence, the Driving and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) have a produced a 16-page booklet with all of the essential information for overseas visitors about driving in Britain. Click to read it.

In summary, foreign nationals who are allowed to drive in Britain on their existing driver’s licences are permitted to do so for a three-year period following their arrival in the country. After three years, you will be required to exchange your licence for a British one.

To exchange your licence, you must have a permanent address in Britain and have lived in the country for at least 185 days of the last year.

To exchange your licence, the process is pretty simple. You will need to complete an “Application for a Driving Licence” form (known as a D1), which is available online at or via most post offices, and return it to the DVLA along with your licence and the standard £50 fee charged for exchanging licences. A list of local DVLA offices is available at or by calling 0300 123 1277. The same form can be used if you need to apply for a provisional licence, which in Britain and Northern Ireland is needed to be able to take a driving test.

One point to note is that the legal age to drive in Britain and Northern Ireland is 17, unlike many European countries where you must be 18 to drive alone. Therefore if you are aged 17 and have a full licence from your home country you will be permitted to drive in the UK.


Expatica Ask the Expert
Need advice? Post your question on Expatica's free Ask the Expert service to see if we can help.


Comment here on the article, or if you have a suggestion to improve this article, please click here.

If you believe any of the information on this page is incorrect or out-of-date, please let us know. Expatica makes every effort to ensure its articles are as comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date as possible, but we're also grateful for any help! (If you want to contact Expatica for any other reason, please follow the instructions on this website's contact page.)

Captcha Note: Characters are case sensitive
The details you provide on this page will not be used to send any unsolicited e-mail, and will not be sold to a third party. Privacy policy .

3 Comments To This Article

  • Nicoleta posted:

    on 9th August 2016, 20:45:59 - Reply

    Hi, I know from other people that changed driving license that they sent photos as well; is this up to date or you dont need to send photo now? thank you

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our forums or Ask the Expert service]

  • Johana posted:

    on 15th July 2016, 18:50:58 - Reply

    You can still drive in Portugal with your UK licence. And they will keep safe your original Portuguese licence. You can switch back in few years if you need.
  • Raquel posted:

    on 9th July 2016, 18:26:48 - Reply


    I would like to transfer my Portuguese driving license to an UK driving license...however I am afraid to send my license together with the form because I don't know what is going to happen with it going to be destroyed ? Because I will still need it to drive when I go for holidays in Portugal (my country).

    Please help.

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert free service.]