Volunteer Driver (Wheelchair Volunteer Worcester)
If you enjoy driving, like meeting people and are compassionate then this could be the role for you. Volunteers like you provide people in their local community with wheelchairs and other equipment to help them get moving again after an illness or injury. Whether it is to help take a relative out, or take a child to school, it makes a difficult and distressing time a little bit easier. Spread the power of kindness with us and help make sure that everyone who needs one can get a wheelchair.
We are interested in applicants who are able to volunteers a few hours a week on a regular basis (ideally on a Wednesday 10am-3pm, however it can flexible)
Ideally you will live within roughly 10 miles to the equipment collection point. If you are unsure of the distance please click on the map to check, as a rough guide.
Covid-19 Health and Safety Statement
Please note those who are clinically extremely vulnerable or unable to wear a face mask (provided) can only volunteer from home at this time. Unfortunately this means we cannot currently process applications for this role from people in this group.
Deployment into role will be subject to government guidelines and individual and building risk assessments.
This role is not exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. All successful applicants are asked to sign a criminal record declaration appropriate for the role.
If you have any questions before applying, please contact us at or 03000 040 309.
Interested in learning more about this job Scroll down and find out what skills, experience and educational qualifications are needed.
More about this role
- Volunteer Driver
- Where you will be based
Why we want you
We need volunteers like you so that that everyone who needs one can get a wheelchair. Each year we hire out or loan over 75,000 wheelchairs to help people to get around after an injury or illness. Whether it is delivery or collection for people at home, or moving equipment between buildings, you will be joining a friendly team of people who help to get people moving again. Please note the minimum age for this role is 21 years.
What you will be doing
- Deliver and collect wheelchairs using a Red Cross van
- Load / unload wheelchairs ready for daily runs
- Show people how to use equipment
- Use a computer-based stock control system
The skills you need
- Physically able to safely lift or move wheelchairs and other mobility equipment
- Experienced driver (at least two years)
- Confident driving a delivery van
- Enjoy meeting people and good people skills
- Good IT skills
- Able to commit to a regular weekly shift
What’s in it for you
- Meet new people and be part of a dynamic and inclusive team
- A great opportunity to use your existing skills and gain new ones
- An opportunity to be part of the world’s largest humanitarian organisation and the knowledge that you are making a difference to people’s lives
- All training and induction for the role
- Reasonable pre-agreed travel expenses for the role including for attending training