Senior Underwriter – Professional Indemnity (Part Time/ Full Time)
A fantastic opportunity has arisen in the Legal Indemnities team of the Global Corporate Speciality (GCS) department of Aviva UK. This team is now actively recruiting for Trading Underwriters to join us in London.
Ensure all your application information is up to date and in order before applying for this opportunity.
As a Trading Underwriter, this person will be responsible for underwriting profitable business within the Legal Indemnities area, operating within agreed guidelines and authority levels. They will also actively pursue opportunities to grow the book of work through new business.
We believe this is a great opportunity to be a part of a fast-paced, independent team that has been really thriving in the last 2 years and will continue to push from strength to strength with our broker engagements and new products.
Aviva has now introduced "smart-working", and the person in this role will only be asked to work from our London offices 50% of their time, the rest of the work schedule being flexible.
The role’s duties & responsibilities
- Day-to-day underwriting decisions regarding the acceptance and rating of risks within detailed guidelines and agreed authority limits
- Handling your own caseload, underwriting new business and working within Aviva’s Brand Values
- Providing technical support and assistance to customers, dealing with all queries in line with your authority level
- Developing sustainable relationships to support new business growth as well as understanding relevant Broker markets
- Spotting and initiating opportunities for service and operational improvements by acting on feedback from customers and sharing ideas with peers in team meetings
- Proactively developing your own capability to improve individual and team performance
- Working within our governance frameworks; making sure we’re risk compliant as an organisation
Skills & experiences required
- Strong technical knowledge of core Legal Indemnity risks
- Track record of being responsible for own underwriting caseloads within a regulatory environment, following due process and within set authority limits
- Evidence of sound product knowledge and market awareness and networking presence in the London market
- Strong attention to detail – the ability to analyse sophisticated information and draw out the relevant facts
- Well-tuned communication skills in order to articulate technical issues and influence key contacts in the marketplace
What will you get for this role?
- A competitive salary depending on skills, experience and qualifications
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review
- Holiday allowance of 29 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
- Up to 40% discount for some Aviva products through "My Aviva Extras" plus discounts for Friends and Family (some exclusions apply)
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
Working at Aviva
At Aviva, we’re people with a purpose. To be with you today, for a better tomorrow.
We bring this to life by ensuring managing risk is at the heart of the way we all work. We love people who do the right thing for our customers, and our colleagues. We want people who speak up, who take ownership, and who make good decisions.
The way we do this is important too, we’re all about our people – that’s you – so we can be pretty flexible. If you want to work from home some of the time or change your hours so you can pick up your kids or care for someone in your family, we’re very open to that. In fact, we don’t advertise roles as either part or full time, because we know each person has different needs, just as each business area has different needs. So, it’s up to you to discuss working hours during your interview.
We care deeply about being inclusive and that means we encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We want our employees to bring their whole self to work and that starts with you.
We interview every disabled applicant* that meets the minimum criteria for the job. Once you’ve applied, please send us a separate email stating that you have a disclosed disability and we’ll make sure we interview you.
We’d love it if you could submit your application online. If you require an alternative method of applying, please give Daniel Hopchet a call on 0121 234 7625 or send an email to .
- As defined in The Equality Act 2010*. By ‘minimum criteria’ we mean you should provide us with evidence which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence required and have the qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential to perform the role