Senior Trading Underwriter – Property & Casualty
Here at Aviva, our UK General Insurance business is looking for a strong, senior underwriting professional to join our wider Commercial Lines division. The successful post-holder needs to showcase an excellent, expert knowledge of Property and/or Casualty underwriting, as well as have a strong skillset focused on mentoring and supporting junior underwriters.
Please double check you have the right level of experience and qualifications by reading the full overview of this opportunity below.
As a Senior Trading Underwriter with Aviva, you’ll provide an outstanding service to our customers/brokers. You’ll drive new business and professional relationships, directly contributing to the underwriting profit and loss, trading and service delivery goals. As a multiclass underwriter, you’ll also be used to operating within agreed guidelines and authority levels, ensuring Aviva’s ‘book of business’ continues to profitably grow.
The successful candidate will be based out of central Leeds office, completing visiting broker partners across the North East of England: the post-holder will also benefit from Aviva’s smart working arrangements as an element of flexible working is also on offer.
- Accountability for a portfolio of brokers/customers, proactively developing and profitably growing Aviva’s commercial book of business
- Partner with brokers and customers to truly understand their wants and needs, using data insight to ensure excellent customer service and suitable solutions
- Undertake regular, meaningful face to face meetings with brokers and/or customers to build their confidence in us / to make Aviva their insurer of choice – this task will involve regional travel!
- Mentor and coach junior underwriting colleagues, in relation to writing and winning more complex, higher value business
- Build strong working relationships with the wider Aviva business internally, alongside ensuring external stakeholder relationships are also made & maintained successfully
Skills and Experience
- Extensive experience within Property and/or Casualty underwriting is essential
- ACII/FCII qualification is highly desirable
- Excellent communication, time management and negotiating skills
- Strong ability to analyse risks, and then communicate and present effectively to brokers and/or customers
- Have a good knowledge of the FCA and other relevant regulations and legislation
- Demonstrate a strong business acumen i.e. to create and deliver business cases
- True team player, with excellent mentoring skills
What will you get for this role?
- Competitive annual salary depending on skills, qualifications and experience
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review
- Holiday allowance of 29 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
- Up to 40% discount for some Aviva products through "My Aviva Extras" plus discounts for Friends and Family (some exclusions apply)
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
Working at Aviva
At Aviva, we’re people with a purpose. To be with you today, for a better tomorrow.
We bring this to life by ensuring managing risk is at the heart of the way we all work. We love people who do the right thing for our customers, and our colleagues. We want people who speak up, who take ownership, and who make good decisions.
The way we do this is important too, we’re all about our people – that’s you – so we can be pretty flexible. If you want to work from home some of the time or change your hours so you can pick up your kids or care for someone in your family, we’re very open to that. In fact, we don’t advertise roles as either part or full time, because we know each person has different needs, just as each business area has different needs. So, it’s up to you to discuss working hours during your interview.
We care deeply about being inclusive and that means we encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We want our employees to bring their whole self to work and that starts with you.
We interview every disabled applicant* that meets the minimum criteria for the job. Once you’ve applied, please send us a separate email stating that you have a disclosed disability and we’ll make sure we interview you.
We’d love it if you could submit your application online. If you require an alternative method of applying, please give Daisy Holmes a call on +44 7436 672007 or send an email to .
- As defined in The Equality Act 2010*. By ‘minimum criteria’ we mean you should provide us with evidence which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence required and have the qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential to perform the role