Senior Product Developer – Full Time/ Part Time
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Polaris ProductWriter Developer to join the team! The team is predominantly based in Norwich, we are flexible with location and the role can be homebased however traveling to Norwich on a quarterly basis would be required post pandemic.
You could be just the right applicant for this job Read all associated information and make sure to apply.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a professional, high quality and respectful environment where you’ll work with passionate experts from a variety of backgrounds across all areas of the business. As the Polaris ProductWriter Developer, you will have the freedom to develop high quality solutions and see them through from inception to live delivery. You will be working with pricing and underwriting systems that are an integral part of Aviva’s commercial insurance solution. By using your expert knowledge and experience of software development you will help the team continue to deliver innovative and market leading solutions that support the goals and aspirations of the business.
This opportunity would be fantastic for you, if you are seeking a role that provides development and progression. You will be provided with the prospects of a clear personal learning and development plan that provides the frameworks and development solutions to ensure everyone has the opportunity to maximise their performance and progress. Experience with developing in Polaris is desirable, however we would consider other software development experience.
Responsibilities of the role
- Provide technical solutions and build products based on requirements
- Provide estimates for projects and other software development work using industry standard project-management tools and methodologies
- Develop solutions that support the demands of the business, and integrity and security of the organisation’s systems
- Refactor/redesign areas of the systems to improve efficiency and reliability
- Manage errors, identifying the root cause and deploying fixes quickly, communicating via various methods to ensure progress is relayed to relevant parties in a clear and timely manner
- Work closely with internal Pricing and Underwriting teams, Project Managers and Business Analysts to implement enhancements to existing software and the creation of new software to support new systems and products
- Contribute to team-orientated projects and workstreams using a variety of methodologies, including Agile and Waterfall
Skills and experience we’re looking for
- Prior experience of ProductWriter and exposure to Polaris and ABI standards
- Ability to plan development changes and communicate potential problems, issues and risk areas associated with the changes
- Experience of producing work of high quality on tight deadlines
- Either previous programming/developing through experience (or degree with programming content) or proven problem solving and technical skills
- Proven excellent communication skills with ability to communicate clearly and concisely with all levels of the business – both technical and non-technical personnel
- Experience working with either Waterfall or Agile methodology
Desirable Skills (full training will be provided)
- Previous experience of the Commercial market
- Working in an agile environment using Kanban and/or Scrum
- MS Excel and MS Excel formulae
- MS Excel VBA
- Testing – automated and non-technical
What will you get for this role?
- Salary between £30,000 – £45,000 depending on skills, experience and qualifications
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review
- Holiday allowance of 29 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
- Up to 40% discount for some Aviva products through "My Aviva Extras" plus discounts for Friends and Family (some exclusions apply)
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
Working at Aviva
At Aviva, we’re people with a purpose. To be with you today, for a better tomorrow.
We bring this to life by ensuring managing risk is at the heart of the way we all work. We love people who do the right thing for our customers, and our colleagues. We want people who speak up, who take ownership, and who make good decisions.
The way we do this is important too, we’re all about our people – that’s you – so we can be pretty flexible. If you want to work from home some of the time or change your hours so you can pick up your kids or care for someone in your family, we’re very open to that. In fact, we don’t advertise roles as either part or full time, because we know each person has different needs, just as each business area has different needs. So, it’s up to you to discuss working hours during your interview.
We care deeply about being inclusive and that means we encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We want our employees to bring their whole self to work and that starts with you.
We interview every disabled applicant* that meets the minimum criteria for the job . Once you’ve applied, please send us a separate email stating that you have a disclosed disability and we’ll make sure we interview you.
We’d love it if you could submit your application online . If you require an alternative method of applying, please give Lacey Lane a call on 0207 255 0884 or send an email to
- As defined in The Equality Act 2010 *. By ‘ minimum criteria’ we mean you should provide us with evidence which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence required and have the qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential to perform the role