Senior Media officer
To plan and deliver public and media relations activities across the UK to highlight the work of Action for Children and issues relating to disadvantaged children, young people and families.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced, proactive & enthusiastic Senior Media Officer to join the team at Action for Children.
You will make a difference by
- Planning and delivering national, trade and consumer proactive and reactive media relations activity, including overseeing media campaigns to highlight Action for Children campaigns, services, policy and fundraising initiatives
- Demonstrating excellent news judgement and developing key relationships to engage with national, trade and consumer media as appropriate, including editors, journalists, producers and researchers to maximise media coverage
- Researching and writing media releases, statements and articles as appropriate for national, trade and consumer media outlets
- Assisting in writing briefings and Q&As and preparing spokespeople for media interviews
- Working with the team to coordinate and deliver media meetings, photo calls and similar events, ensuring all events are produced in accordance with Action for Children’s procedures and key messages
- Helping identify and manage case studies according to Action for Children’s procedures
- Participating alongside media officers, in the media team’s out of hours rota, which runs 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, including weekends and bank holidays
- Monitoring the national news agenda, demonstrating excellent news and policy awareness, keeping up to date with news stories relevant to the work of Action for Children
You will need
- Equivalent experience or hold a degree/equivalent professional qualification
- Demonstrable experience of media relations within a press, public relations or communications office, handling proactive and reactive activities
- Demonstrable experience of raising the profile of an organisation through media and PR activity and campaigns
- Experience of working with broadcast, print and online media
- Understanding development and delivery of media and public relations plans
- Experience of briefing and preparing colleagues and service users to undertake media interviews
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with excellent attention to detail
- Experience of working on projects/ campaigns within multidisciplinary teams to achieve shared objectives
The way we workAll potential applicants are encouraged to scroll through and read the complete job description before applying. We work to make sure every child and young person has the love, support and opportunity they need to reach their potential. If you share the same vision, we want you to join our team. Have a look at our behaviours and values to understand more about the way we work on our website.Rewards We want our employees to feel valued and rewarded for the vital work they do. When you work with us, we’ll recognise your efforts with generous annual leave, a comprehensive employer-matched pension scheme and a range of deals and discounts on our dedicated benefits portal. Find out more about our exclusive Action for Children benefits on our careers site
For safe and happy childhoods At Action for Children, we protect and support children and young people, providing practical and emotional care and support, ensuring their voices are heard, and campaigning to bring lasting improvements to their lives. Last year, we helped more than 387,000 children and families across the UK.
We are committed to safer recruitment practices to protect our service users; therefore, all applicants are expected to have an understanding of and commitment to safeguarding best-practice. Action for Children is passionate about promoting equality, valuing diversity and working inclusively. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons particularly people with Disabilities and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic applicants, as these groups are currently under-represented in our workforce.